Greg's September Catch-Up #1 - DanRad, Elle, Ice-T, Elliott, Emma

This is the place to post reports from in-person meets!
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Greg's September Catch-Up #1 - DanRad, Elle, Ice-T, Elliott, Emma

Post by Greg2600 »

Time to catch up from all the NYC street meets last month (September 2018). First off, rain is not fun! So I wanted a photo with Daniel Radcliffe, and no, NOT for Harry Potter! He was in a great film, The Woman in Black. Usually his public spots are a mess, and I avoid them. Got a tip about where he would be possibly low key, although I was warned some fans had harassed him there multiple times. In any event, I waited a bit, and out he popped with a guard. Nobody recognized him, so I asked as we walked, and he said “yeah if you have it ready” and I did.

Radcliffe

Later on the rain was worse. One spot featured power couple Blake and Ryan, as well as Anna Kendrick, but did very little due to the rain. I wound up just getting Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman. There were some randoms who showed that I would come back for. I tried a premiere for McConaughey, but there too, rain was an issue as well as the setup. I did spot Ice-T though. Luckily spots were pretty close together, so I was able to walk or jog between them. Finally I got someone I came for, when Elle Fanning, who I’ve liked as an actress since Super 8, stopped for everyone. I returned to the Ice-T spot, and eventually see him leave with Coco and someone else, walking. I ran up and got the photo no problem. Even got a laugh out of him when I mentioned he was tight with race driver Marco Andretti. Back to the Blake spot, where nobody stopped leaving. To make matters worse, the randoms I wanted seemed to have left from the other side, so that was a waste.

Aly

Elle

Ice

Another day, I tried again for Matthew McConaughey, but made a bad choice. We waited for him at his hotel, but he never showed, so it seemed he was going to go right to this screening. A group of collectors and dealers shuffled over there, but he got there late, and was rushed in. I figured, well, there’s going to be an even bigger crowd when he leaves, and he won’t stop. So two of us went uptown a bit to wait for Jamie Kennedy. Yes, I know, it sounds dumb, but my motivation was simple. I didn’t think Matthew was going to go well, and I did NOT want to wait hours for Kennedy to leave, and get home in the middle of the night. So eventually Jamie shows up, a lot later than I hoped. Turns out he was at another comedy club! Dang, if I knew that, I would have gone there. In the meantime, I heard that Matthew left and did stop (D’oh), mostly signing but 3 or 4 people got some type of photo.

Kennedy

Moving on, on the way back from the CT HorrorFest, I stopped in Manhattan for a spot featuring Amy Heckerling, who directed Clueless, European Vacation, and of course, Johnny Dangerously. A couple of us waited, and she walked up. Though she said she was really late, got 2 photos, and she signed my JD 8x10, even inscribing ONCE on it.

Heckerling

Over the course of the summer, the Showtime series Ray Donovan has been filming in New York. I’ve gotten a couple cast members, but one particular season-long guest, Tony Curran, had escaped me. Every time I went to the set, I missed him. Tony was in several of my favorite movies, like the Flight of the Phoenix remake, Underworld Evolution, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. However, he was most notably the charismatic Datak Tarr on SyFy’s Defiance. On one particular afternoon, I saw that he was on set up in Nyack, NY, so I high tailed it up there. I parked and scoped out the area. It seemed like Tony’s trailer was somewhere else in town, with the main stars (Schreiber and Voight) had there’s close by. I had those guys and Pooch Hall, so I didn’t bother them. It was pretty funny to see Liev chasing his tiny dog, and the group of four interacting during breaks. Finally it seemed they were done, and Tony was sitting there chatting with people. So I walked up, and he was just as funny and “Scottish” as one could be. Really awesome guy, signed my Defiance piece and had a sound guy take the photo.

Tony

Fresh off that success, I drove down to Williamsburg and met up with Lanza. Our target here was comic icon (at least to me) Chris Elliott and his co-creator of Get a Life and Cabin Boy, Adam Resnick. When I was a kid growing up, watching Chris go hogwild on Letterman’s Late Nite, and then Get A Life, was so hilarious. It’s a big reason I never got into the typical comedies like The Office, Friends, Modern Family, whatever. They aren’t demented enough, and that’s why I latched onto the FX comedies so much. Anyway, Chris and Adam got there early, which for us was good, as we got them no problem, and got something to eat. Afterwards we tried a spot for Giamatti, but he wasn’t there, and drove home.

Chris and Adam

On another night, I found some info on the new Netflix series, Maniac, starring Jonah Hill and Emma Stone. Just a side note, I tried this one out, and fell asleep during episode 1, FWIW. Turns out this was not a simple Q&A but a full fledged premiere. They did an odd thing where they had a barricade pen on either side of the main doors, as well as a couple more against the curb. In the middle, they had guards swinging a temporary barricade rail into place when the stars arrived. This actually worked great for me, because I wound up in a great spot. However, not many stopped. Emma though came first to my pen, and I got a nice photo finally! I saw Julia Garner from The Ozark go in though, but she didn’t stop. I got director Cary Fukunaga, who will direct the next Bond movie. While waiting all night, I got Geoffrey Cantor from The Punisher, and Billy Magnussen. Finally the closed down the party, and Julia walked out with a group of men pestering her to come party with them. Ha ha. She wasn’t having it, but was very nice about the photo.

Emma

Julia

Cary

Billy

Geoffrey

Finito.....
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Greg's September Catch-Up #1 - DanRad, Elle, Ice-T, Elliott, Emma

Post by lanza218 »

Flashback report #1
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Some excellent stuff!!!
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

Damn, you did pretty well! Love the shot with Potter lol.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/
crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar »

Nice, I'm enjoying.the show Maniac