JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2018 & More Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2018 & More Report

Post by Joresky » November 5th, 2018, 11:52 am

This past Saturday I attended the Rhode Island Comic Con in Providence, Rhode Island. I saw quite a few friends and fellow marked outers at the con including Greg, Asian Dave, Stephen (btvsp3), Dan (DJKnightrida) and Andrew (Andrews23). This con is usually pretty well attended because they always bring a lot of great celebrity names. The first name I got at the con was actress Samantha Smith from TVs Supernatural. She was nice and the combo price was only $10 more than the selfie price so I got the combo. After this I got a $10 table op with actor Jason Marsden (TVs Eerie Indiana, Step by Step, Full House). He was super friendly and reasonably priced. Next I got a combo with actress Kate Flannery (TVs The Office). She was very friendly and it was cool to add another name to my Office collection since I have already met many of her costars. I decided to get a combo with actor Creed Bratton who was at the booth next to hers. I know I met him earlier this year but the photo was a nice upgrade (no glasses and no hat) and I didn't have the autograph so that was new for me as well. He seemed nicer and less rushed at the con then when I saw him on the street... I told him I enjoyed his show that I saw in Baltimore earlier this year. For those who don't know he was in a rock band called The Grass Roots many years ago but he still tours solo. After this I got a combo with voice actor Charlie Adler (Buster Bunny in Tiny Toons Adventures, Cow and Chicken, and much more). I saw Andrew ahead of me meeting him and it was really fun to watch their exchange because Andrew is a huge fan of this guy. He even brought him a bag full of gifts which Charlie seemed to really appreciate. Next I went to get my professional photo op with actress Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma in Star Wars The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones). Gwendoline is super tall like a basketball player.. I am 5'7 and looked like a little kid standing next to her.

Next I walked around trying to find the table of Ice T and Coco. It turned out that they moved their table from the main autograph room upstairs to a side wrestling room. I entered the wrestling room and got a photo with WWE wrestler/actor Nathan Jones (he was in Mad Max Fury Road.. super tall guy) and then I got in line to meet Ice T and Coco. I decided to get the couple combo for $80 which included a photo with both Ice T and Coco and an autograph from each of them. Just a photo op alone from Ice T would have been $40 and just a photo with Coco would have been $20 so I figured if I got the combo deal then the autograph for both is just $20 which isn't a bad deal at all. The line for them was slightly long but it seemed to move at a decent rate so it wasn't that bad and when I got up to them they were very personable. I did have a photo with Ice T from years ago with shades so this photo is an upgrade and I had never met his wife Coco before so that was fresh. After this I got table photos with voice actresses Monica Rial and Brittney Karbowski. They are mostly known for doing voice acting in anime including Dragonball Z and Attack on Titan. Next I got in line to meet James Murray of Impractical Jokers. His line was big enough that they kept on capping it and reopening it because of lack of space but I hung around and eventually I was able to get into the line and get the photo no problem. Lastly I went back to the pro op area and got my pro op with actress Michelle Trachtenburg (TVs Buffy the Vampire Slayer). She was using a cain to stand up for some reason (maybe she had an accident?). She didn't smile much in my photo but i'm guessing is its probably because she didn't want to be there. I have met her on the street years ago and she was not friendly.

After this I met up with Greg and we left the con and went to New York City before I caught my bus home to the Baltimore area later in the evening. We hit up a spot where we thought we might see Benedict Cumberbatch and Danny Elfman but unfortunately there was no access so we left and went to some easier spots. I went to go meet comedian Mike Birbiglia (Trainwreck) who wasn't a huge want but I didn't have him so I figured why not. We waited for a little while and a guy came out and said hes not coming out soon so they took the barricade down. About 10 to 15 minutes later Mike Birbiglia came out and took photos for the few of us that were still waiting for him. After this I went to another spot where I was hoping to meet actress Mercedes Ruehl (Mrs Baskin in Big, Last Action Hero). After a while they set up barricades and everyone at this spot came out and did combos no problem. I got all the names at this spot including the barely valid ones. I got combos from Michael Urie, Michael Hsu Rosen, Ward Horton (John in Annabelle), Roxanna Hope Radja, Jack DiFalco and Mercedes Ruehl (she came out last). \

After this I began walking to the bus station and I got all the way there (it was only a few blocks away) when I check my phone and see that Greg is texting me that Russell Crowe is at a spot a few blocks away where he still is trying to meet actress Laura Donnelly. I speed walked/ran as quickly as possible to the spot and Russell was standing right there having a long conversation with actor Paddy Considine. I have failed on Crowe in the past so this was nothing short of a godsend for me. I waited for a break in conversation and I approached Russell for a photo and he was super nice and did it no problem. I have a terrible and out of focus group shot with him from 6 years ago that I don't even count so instead of counting this as an upgrade I count it as a fresh shot. I got super lucky that Russell was hanging out there for such a long time because I would have surely missed him. The photo came out great and needless to say, this really made my night. Me and Greg went to grab some pizza after this and then I went to catch my bus back to Baltimore. Thanks to Greg I got my best photo of the weekend so Greg I can't thank you enough. Overall, I got some great photos and had a good time so it was another successful weekend for me.
photorussellcrowe.jpg
Me and actor Russell Crowe
photogwendolinechristie.jpg
Me and actress Gwendoline Christie
photomichelletrachtenburg.jpg
Me and actress Michelle Trachtenburg
photojasonmarsden.jpg
Me and actor Jason Marsden
photoicetcoco.jpg
Me and Ice T and Coco
photocharlieadler.jpg
Me and voice actor Charlie Adler
photosamanthasmith.jpg
Me and actress Samantha Smith
photokateflannery.jpg
Me and actress Kate Flannery
photocreedbratton.jpg
Me and actor Creed Bratton
photonathanjones.jpg
Me and WWE wrestler/actor Nathan Jones
photomonicarial.jpg
Me and voice actress Monica Rial
photobrittneykarbowski.jpg
Me and voice actress Brittney Karbowski
photojamesmurra.jpg
Me and James Murray (Impractical Jokers)
photomikebirbiglia.jpg
Me and comedian/actor Mike Birbiglia
photomercedesruehl.jpg
Me and actress Mercedes Ruehl
photowardhorton.jpg
Me and actor Ward Horton
photoroxannahoperadja.jpg
Me and actress Roxanna Hope Radja
photomichaelurie.jpg
Me and actor Michael Urie
photomichaelhsurosen.jpg
Me and actor Michael Hsu Rosen
photojackdifalco.jpg
Me and actor Jack DiFalco
photoroxannahoperadja.jpg
Me and actress Roxanna Hope Radja
autoicetcoco.jpg
Ice T and Coco signed photo
autocreedbratton.jpg
Creed Bratton signed photo
autocreedbratton.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
autokateflannery.jpg
Kate Flannery signed photo
autokateflannery.jpg (20.26 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
autocharlieadler.jpg
Charlie Adler signed photo
autosamanthasmith.jpg
Samantha Smith signed photo
autosamanthasmith.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Attachments
photoicetcoco.jpg
Me and Ice T and Coco

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2018 & More Report

Post by ICW » November 5th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Wow, great stuff man! What luck in getting Russell Crowe!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Re: JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2018 & More Report

Post by Greg2600 » November 6th, 2018, 1:24 am

Well you got in some exercise in NYC, as I had you walk probably 2 miles.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com