The truth is out there in Baltimore.

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

The truth is out there in Baltimore.

Post by Cozmik » November 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm

AlienCon in Baltimore was an odd con. They threw in 3 celebrity actors but by and large relatively few people there were after pics and autographs from them. It was all about the UFO and alien visitation experts for most people there.

Though I usually won't travel to a con for one person, one of the actors, Jenna Coleman of "Doctor Who" and "Victoria" was high on my wish list and so I decided to go but on a low budget. I got up really early Saturday to drive from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, adding at least 45 minutes extra to the drive by skipping the turnpike tolls and made the trip back the same day eliminating the need for a hotel. It made for a long day but I don't mind driving.

The first thing I did when I got there was head to one of the few non-alien panels. Jenna Coleman and Michael Dorn ("Worf" from Star Trek) were the guests in an enjoyable panel about being in long-running science fiction franchises. Then it was down to the marketplace area to grab a photo with Jenna Coleman.
jennaColeman-small.jpg
jennaColeman-small.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 880 times
I was about have way back in a line of less than 40 people for Jenna's photo op. Michael Dorn's photo line before that was even smaller. There was a huge line for Giorgio Tsoukalos. I had no idea who he was, but he was a major draw for these alien-enthusiasts. I found out he's the host of "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel and also his photo became something of a meme sensation.

Strangely, they had only 4 autograph booths so they cycled different guest through those booths at scheduled times. So I had some time to kill between the Jenna Coleman photo op and her autograph session. I checked out the smallest group of vendors I've ever seen in any con and went to a panel where a guy did an interesting academic analysis of time travel as portrayed in "Doctor Who". Then I went back to the marketplace to wait for a line to form for the Jenna Coleman autograph. Giorgio Tsoukalos was signing in the booth Jenna Coleman was to be in before her and once again I was amazed at his line. It took up nearly all the overflow area for all 4 booths.

Finally, it was time for Jenna Coleman's autograph session and I was about 10 in a line of 30 at most. I had her sign a photo and a Funko Pop and then it was back in my car for the long drive home.
jennaColeman_autograph_small.jpg
jennaColemanFunko_small.jpg
jennaColemanFunko_small.jpg (38.26 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Greg2600

Re: The truth is out there in Baltimore.

Post by Greg2600 » November 11th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Well good get at an otherwise worthless convention. That Giorgio moron is a joke.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » November 11th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Cozmik wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm
Though I usually won't travel to a con for one person, one of the actors, Jenna Coleman of "Doctor Who" and "Victoria" was high on my wish list and so I decided to go but on a low budget. I got up really early Saturday to drive from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, adding at least 45 minutes extra to the drive by skipping the turnpike tolls and made the trip back the same day eliminating the need for a hotel. It made for a long day but I don't mind driving.
That's actually $14 each way I skip those tolls when going to Pittsburgh as well

Ancient Aliens was sadly all debunked as a hoax.

Tell me what was Giorgio Tsoukalos charging?

Shame they couldn't have Travis Walton for this con.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Cozmik » November 11th, 2018, 6:25 pm

class316 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Cozmik wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm
That's actually $14 each way I skip those tolls when going to Pittsburgh as well

Ancient Aliens was sadly all debunked as a hoax.

Tell me what was Giorgio Tsoukalos charging?

I didn’t really notice for sure but I think he might have charged $40

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Cozmik » November 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

class316 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:44 pm
He was there, I think. He's listed in the program book with autograph and photo ops times and I think I saw him at a table in the vendors area.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 11th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Yeah he was there, because I complained that they didn't bring in Tracy Torme, who wrote the movie.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » November 11th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Cozmik wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

He was there, I think. He's listed in the program book with autograph and photo ops times and I think I saw him at a table in the vendors area.
Travis Walton was there? WHAT? I didn't see him on the guest list! DAMMIT!
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/