Hollywood Sexual Harrassment/Assult Accusations

This is the place to sound off on various current events.
Greg2600

Hollywood Sexual Harrassment/Assult Accusations

Post by Greg2600 » October 30th, 2017, 5:58 pm

It's really overwhelming now, and I suspect just the beginning. Veteran actors like Jeffrey Jones and Stephen Collins were accused and in some cases convicted in recent years. Their careers are now over. Harvey Weinstein is done, he'll never work in HW again. Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, and others have taken heat off this. Now Kevin Spacey is on the hot seat, his TV show was canceled, and quite frankly, his career might be next.

Rose McGowan has defiantly led the internet crusade against Harvey and others. They've put together a 200+ incident list against him. It's simply staggering how many of the actresses I grew up with were assaulted or attempted to be by this piece of shit. Many had their careers ended by him, leaving fans like me to wonder where they went?
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Greg2600

Re: Hollywood Sexual Harrassment/Assult Accusations

Post by Greg2600 » October 30th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Asia Argento is keeping tally....

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/ ... 0310906880

Here are the names you'd recognize. I feel we are in Sandusky territory with this guy.

Kate Beckinsale
Rosanna Arquette
Sean Young
Gwyneth Paltrow
Mira Sorvino
Claire Forlani
Ashley Judd
Asia Argento
Rose McGowan
Angelina Jolie
Lauren Holly
Heather Graham
Lena Headly
Lupita N'yongo
Eva Green
Cara Delevigne
Lea Seydoux
Angie Everhard
Mia Kirshner
Sarah Polly
Britt Marling
Annabella Sciorra
Daryl Hanna

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » October 30th, 2017, 6:24 pm

The Academy honored Roman Polanski long after he was CONVICTED of raping an underage girl, and had fled to France to avoid serving his sentence, so sadly embracing sexual abuse is is not a new phenomenon in Hollywood, it's just finally becoming public.

I'd say that Hollywood is an even scummier business community than even pro wrestling ever was at its worst, and that's saying something.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 30th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Well for decades the creed was to hide/protect EVERYONE powerful.

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » October 30th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
October 30th, 2017, 6:32 pm
Well for decades the creed was to hide/protect EVERYONE powerful.
While that's true, in Polanski's case his actions were publicly known and proven in a court of law by then, and they still honored him, so at that point it wasn't even a case of them hiding/protecting him anymore, it was basically the heads of the film community collectively saying to the world "We're OK with that", which is even more sickening.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » October 31st, 2017, 2:31 am

AJLe makes a good point about Roman Polanski. Not only that the Polish courts basically refused to extradite him to the US.

Also, Michael Jackson has lots of allegations against him and he is still idolized by Hollywood and fans alike. And in the case of MJ they were kids much younger than 14 (like in the Spacey allegations)

That aside, one thing I don't comprehend about those allegations, how is it that they all stay hidden for years upon years, then all of a sudden they all come up at once. Makes no sense. Personally, if someone raped me I'd go to the police immediately.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 31st, 2017, 9:35 am

First of all, not every case is the same. Polanski's victim has fought on his behalf for decades. Michael Jackson is a worthless example. He was the BIGGEST entertainer in the world, bar none. He could have shot up Fifth Avenue and his fans wouldn't care.....oh wait that was another asswipe!

The hidden part is no shock. You're talking about an industry that hid sexual orientation of big stars for fear of financial repercussions. To say nothing of drug use. Weinstein was enormously powerful, and he ruined careers and films of some of the women who actually did try to make noise. Remember, harassment, particularly years ago, was not something the police got involved in. That was more a workplace lawsuit type deal, and good luck there. The studios are full of Ivy League washouts, many of who got their jobs through nepotism. In other words, they protect each other.

Hell, Amber Heard accused Johnny Depp of abuse, and the general public threw her under the proverbial bus. Women have just not been believed. Clarence Thomas would (I hope) never get on the Supreme Court today, but 25 years ago nobody believed Anita Hill. Not even Democrats. When in fact she was a brilliant lawyer, who did not deserve to be treated like Whoopi in The Color Purple.

Lastly, many of the actresses actually have said that it was the election of :trumpbleh: that fueled their desire to say enough is enough.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » October 31st, 2017, 9:38 am

If women in power accused the harassers of harassing at the time of the harassment, a lot of those women would not be in power today.

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » October 31st, 2017, 11:32 am

Greg2600 wrote:First of all, not every case is the same. Polanski's victim has fought on his behalf for decades.
Well, his victim was 13 at the time, so even if they argued it was consensual, it would still be statutory rape. And since he fled the country to avoid serving a single day in jail, there was never any sentencing hearing where his victims words could have helped reduce his sentence.

He's literally a convicted child rapist, and his conviction is well known publicly, so the fact that any group would "honor" him speaks volumes about the character of said people. It would be like Penn State dedicating an award to Sandusky at halftime of their game next week.
Greg2600 wrote:
October 31st, 2017, 9:35 am
Clarence Thomas would (I hope) never get on the Supreme Court today, but 25 years ago nobody believed Anita Hill. Not even Democrats. When in fact she was a brilliant lawyer, who did not deserve to be treated like Whoopi in The Color Purple.

Lastly, many of the actresses actually have said that it was the election of :trumpbleh: that fueled their desire to say enough is enough.
Well, many people STILL don't believe the multiple women who have accused Bill Clinton over the years, and Ted Kennedy literally KILLED a woman while drunk (after going home, sobering up, and changing clothes before he even bothered to call the accident in) and yet was still elected a million times after that, so it's not like people being selectively outraged at/accepting of abusers, based largely on their politics, just started recently - it's been going on for decades.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 31st, 2017, 4:34 pm

Good points. Jeremy Piven now accused of groping actress.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/jeremy ... 202603537/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 31st, 2017, 6:47 pm

In regards to Piven, who has ever asked to grab a woman’s breasts on a couch? Now perhaps they were just running lines and the intimacy didn’t match that, but if any more that’s acceptable as long as he listened to her no after the fact.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 1st, 2017, 10:55 am

Problem is she accused him of doing it on multiple occasions. Anywho, Brett Ratner now in the crosshairs. If anyone recalls, Olivia Munn infamously described a vulgar encounter with him in a trailer years ago in her book, which I read. Others include Natasha Henstridge, Jamie Ray Newman, and Katherine Towne.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywo ... story.html

Bud White
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Bud White » November 1st, 2017, 12:33 pm

I have an issue, and I’m going to sound like a jerk and I really don’t want to.

I feel bad for Tonya Smith, Lindsey Jones, and Jane Sullivan. Who are they? I don’t know either. I used those names to represent the women who prolly tried to tell others about Weinstein, or outright told him no, and were never cast in another thing. I know there’s so many people trying to make it on Hollywood, but how many times have you seen an actor or actress that were phenomenal in one or two pics and never heard from again? I feel bad for these famous women now, but it appears they were continually casted and thus never complained. I know it sounds really callous of me i just hate the “I should have said something sooner.”

Also really pissed about this Spacey thing. That was pretty much my favorite actor. I don’t want to see another season of HOC, I probably wouldn’t watch. Going to have a hard time watching any of his movies.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » November 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm

Bud White wrote:
November 1st, 2017, 12:33 pm
I have an issue, and I’m going to sound like a jerk and I really don’t want to.

I feel bad for Tonya Smith, Lindsey Jones, and Jane Sullivan. Who are they? I don’t know either. I used those names to represent the women who prolly tried to tell others about Weinstein, or outright told him no, and were never cast in another thing. I know there’s so many people trying to make it on Hollywood, but how many times have you seen an actor or actress that were phenomenal in one or two pics and never heard from again? I feel bad for these famous women now, but it appears they were continually casted and thus never complained. I know it sounds really callous of me i just hate the “I should have said something sooner.”

Also really pissed about this Spacey thing. That was pretty much my favorite actor. I don’t want to see another season of HOC, I probably wouldn’t watch. Going to have a hard time watching any of his movies.
I agree in large part. I mean, I get all the reasons they kept quiet, but at the same time they understood the quid-pro-quo nature of Harvey and chose to play ball. I sort of feel sorrier for the folks who stood up for themselves and are now totally unknown in their fields, more so than the ones that sold their souls to the devil and got everything they ever wished for as a result. You have hookers giving it up for a A LOT less than these women got from their dalliances with Harvey.

As for Piven, again I'd need to hear more, but the nature of consent is largely becoming a complicated and unrealistic concept. I have never once asked a woman in the heat of the moment any sort of yes or no question, asking for verbal consent, but if you watch SVU episodes or even read some of these types of accounts, you are reaching a point where you need to. What ever happened to a guy misreading the signs and getting slapped? Why is that all of a sudden a crime now? If Jeremy repeatedly got rejected and kept groping, time after time, that's a problem, but if he just made his move, grabbed her, got rejected, and then sort of moved on, I have no issue with that no matter what the tide of consent is telling us.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » November 1st, 2017, 1:06 pm

As for Spacey, it's pretty impossible to defend. I echo Greg's sentiments that his career is likely over.