Nostalgia for old entertainment

Speak freely about life and everything in it
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: "The National" Big Apple Con from Nov. 2007

Post by WOODMO » January 5th, 2017, 7:39 am

mikeyicon wrote:Not going to write a lot although I talk about it constantly due to my passion, but I definitely hear what Overthetop is stating, and I think you might have to be somebody who grew up in the 70's or 80's and maybe 90's to truly understand that the arts meant so much more than it does now. I'm in the same mindset, OTT and totally understand what you are stating! The term celebrity does not mean much nowadays due to a lot of reasons obvious and some maybe not as much but I'm too tired at the moment to write.
Who on the board DIDNT grow up in 70s,80s or 90s?! That's damn near every decade that covers our age groups.

I grew up watching classic tv and the 90s stuff and the stuff today is better. It just is. I loved Miami Vice but you can't compare it to The Sopranos. The A Team vs Breaking Bad, no contest. I can keep going. This era television has the grit of movies and doesn't need to adhere to network regulations thanks to th cable tv boom. This is the golden era of TV.

It's fine if you guys are more nostalgic and only feel a connection to the old stuff, but you cant blame the quality. That's just your personal bias and preference. I will agree though that the individual star felt more grand back then, the proof is in names selling movies which largely fails today. But the rest is just because as kids everything felt more exciting. Now as adults you want that feeling and you just can't find it.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Re: Nostalgia for old entertainment

Post by crowbar » January 5th, 2017, 8:37 am

There's a lot of shit that I loved as a kid (Sopranos initially comes to mind), that when watched with today's eyes, is mostly garbage. When your mind isn't fully formed, you tend to latch on to anything that piques your interest. Some people never get over that nostalgia.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: "The National" Big Apple Con from Nov. 2007

Post by AJLe » January 5th, 2017, 8:54 am

mikeyicon wrote: The term celebrity does not mean much nowadays due to a lot of reasons obvious and some maybe not as much but I'm too tired at the moment to write.
I think part of it is that the stars of the past were put up on a pedestal, and weren't readily accessible to 99.99% of the population. As a kid in the 80's or older, you probably were never going to even have a chance to interact with the big A-list movie stars, or even the top level TV people. They had more of a mystique, since they were perceived as being on a whole other level then average people.

Now, an average Joe can conceivably get a Twitter response from an A-lister, and anybody willing to pay can meet the lead cast of huge current shows like Walking Dead, SOA, etc. at cons. So the stars are more attainable, and have less of that mystique about them.
WOODMO wrote:I wouldn't even put the Honeymooners above All In The Fanily if we're talking golden sitcom age. Not enough episodes
I would still put Honeymooners at the top of the Golden Age sitcom list, just for the fact that most of the cliches and "common spots" that just about every sitcom has done in the last 50 years, pretty much ALL started with the Honeymooners. If you watch any of the popular sitcoms since the 70's, and notice that "they all do the episode where _______ happens", chances are the Honeymooners did it first.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 5th, 2017, 9:34 am

Honeymooners is definitely up there off content alone, when you add innovation it's a no brainer mention. But I do think sitcoms have been done it better longer and overall.

And don't get me started on comparing sitcoms. Full House, Family Matters, etc, all very fun as kid and I can still enjoy it today. But they're not touching a prime Modern Family, The Middle, etc. Seinfeld, Mash, Frasier, and few more are just great without nostalgia. Many rely on it.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 5th, 2017, 11:47 am

I have to agree with Dana, you're getting feature film quality entertainment via short-order television/streaming programs. NOTHING created in the 80s compares to Breaking Bad. I've been watching A-Team reruns lately, my GOD that show was horrible! How did I watch that???? Oh wait, I was 8! Ha ha ha.

Sitcoms are a different story, sorry Dana but Modern Family can't hold a handle to the old stuff. Can't even compare to Ed's old show!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 5th, 2017, 11:52 am

I'll defend the A-Team as great cheesy 80's fun to this day...EXCEPT the final season where Robert Vaughn was their mysterious government boss. That season was terrible on a "Coy and Vance are the new Duke Boys" level!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 5th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Greg2600 wrote:I have to agree with Dana, you're getting feature film quality entertainment via short-order television/streaming programs. NOTHING created in the 80s compares to Breaking Bad. I've been watching A-Team reruns lately, my GOD that show was horrible! How did I watch that???? Oh wait, I was 8! Ha ha ha.

Sitcoms are a different story, sorry Dana but Modern Family can't hold a handle to the old stuff. Can't even compare to Ed's old show!
Watch Season 1 of Modern Family and then try almost any TGIF sitcom (Most of which I love). MWC may be one of the few 80s/90s examples that stand up against the great ones today.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 5th, 2017, 12:08 pm

WOODMO wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:I have to agree with Dana, you're getting feature film quality entertainment via short-order television/streaming programs. NOTHING created in the 80s compares to Breaking Bad. I've been watching A-Team reruns lately, my GOD that show was horrible! How did I watch that???? Oh wait, I was 8! Ha ha ha.

Watch Season 1 of Modern Family and then try almost any TGIF sitcom (Most of which I love). MWC may be one of the few 80s/90s examples that stand up against the great ones today.
I was talking more about 60s-70s like All in the Family, but yes TGIF didn't age well. Family Matters maybe because it was more a laugh-fest. But only The Goldbergs, set in the 80s, makes me laugh now, on network TV. I'll watch an ALF or Perfect Strangers or Golden Girls and laugh the whole way through. They had better jokes.
AJLe wrote:I'll defend the A-Team as great cheesy 80's fun to this day...EXCEPT the final season where Robert Vaughn was their mysterious government boss. That season was terrible on a "Coy and Vance are the new Duke Boys" level!
Well these are in Season 4, the one before Vaughn. There's one where Murdock keeps winning Wheel of Fortune! Horrible!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 5th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Oh yeah, nothing is touching All In The Family....Nothing!! Well maybe Seinfeld, but I don't know. I find Who's The Boss has aged better than many 80s sitcoms.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » January 5th, 2017, 2:03 pm

In terms of television, I agree, the quality of programs like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Oz, Mad Men, etc the old dramas can't light a candle to these. Having streaming services and upstart networks looking for content (AMC, FX) that can benefit from subscriptions over ads is definitely a good thing for shows with critical acclaim that don’t appeal to a mass audience (aka Black Mirror, Halt & Catch Fire, Breading Bad**, etc.) Otherwise, none of them would last! And yes, the 70’s and 80’s sit-coms were goofy and maybe not up to the standards, but reminds us of certain times in our lives, and meant so much more before the oversaturation and expanded options which is diluting our attention spans. And many of the themes and jokes on shows like Different Strokes (Gordon Jump episode!- look it up if you aren’t familiar with it), All In The Family, Welcome Back Kotter would never make it on today’s PC cookie-cutter network television. But it has to be cookie-cutter, I get it, because network TV is built on selling ads, and a guy like me who seeks more like the music, acting, writing, uniqueness is of no interest to these companies looking to appeal to the mass audience who just wants to be entertained before settling back into their status quo lifestyle. BTW, it's all subjective and I know I am in the minority, but I never really cared for Modern Family and I watched the first few episodes of the first season.

In the 70's, 80's and 90's, regardless of good or bad, movies, music, and TV were produced by CREATIVE studios who sometimes didn't entirely focus on the total bottom line. I mean, look at some of those bad but good 80’s movies by now non-existent studios like Carolco, New Line, Orion, etc. Some if not most of the best things in life happen organically, and when creative people aren't hindered, they sometimes can and do change the game. In the late 90's to now, global corporate conglomerates began buying up the studios, consolidating and adding to their portfolios and letting go a lot of creative minds. Programs and music have now beome based on metrics (whether real or BS) and the entertainment industry now is run by people who are not creative, mainly suits with no interest in creativity. The exception to the rule may be Disney who does good work with new ideas AND retreads, but just take a look at WWF, the death of the music industry (retired labels, no more A&R, instant hits, indie film run by studios), independent studios, concerts, etc. It’s all about how content can appeal globally. Movies such as John Hughes classics would never even be made in today’s world as they have limited international appeal. Hence, more and more sci/fi, superhero, and Transformers movies!!!

We all on here probably were born in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but those born in the 90s' probably spent their "learning" years involved with the arts of the 00's and 10's of which I believe the quality of a lot but not all has become cookie-cutter. A lot of it is subjective and habits are formed based on age, culture, and era, but you can’t deny that if you dig into the details and history of the entertainment biz, there is a lot of things that the majoriity don’t even know or want to know about. Us 80’s kids are passionate about our stuff, and it shows with the popularity of funko and other retro commodities. Now it’s becoming 90’s, but the stuff from today sadly is going to be here today, gone tomorrow!

I enjoy having conversation about this topic as it’s a passion of mine, but I could go on and on, so I’ll try and keep it brief, especially since the average attention span now is 8 seconds. Not saying I am right and know-it-all, but my two cents for what it’s worth for those that appreciate.

bigman
Full Fledged Mark

Post by bigman » January 5th, 2017, 2:28 pm

It's a different time. Lucy and The Hooneymooners would get cancelled quickly if it aired in this day and age, as a new show. But to me you evolve.

Sanford & Son and All in theFamily etc etc pushed an envelope that would start riots today. With how much people are pussies. Like you said limited options for the time cloud thoughts so I disagree that there are no creative studios today. Holy shit man! Creativity is everywhere. Netflix, HBO, etc. Only example I can sorta see with that is Walking Dead. To give more examples it's like people who only watch WWE. There's more out there.

Grand Theft Auto V blows Mario Brothers out of the water. But you can look back and realize for it's time. Was good shit.

Like Greg, I've been watching the a-team also. I keep falling asleep. My god what were we thinking with that.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » January 5th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Thank god for HBO, Amazon, and Netflix, they are good examples of allowing the creativity to shine and aren't worried about appeasing sponsors. It's a good thing although it becomes tough to choose. Keep in mind that although they do create and own their own content, the only thing is oversaturation. It can be seen as a good thing and provides a lot of choice but it also can water down and by the time you are processing the show you watched, there is another 5-10 more. In the old days, you processed the show and it was on your mind for weeks and stayed with us for years. Hell, I still quote Saved By The Bell quotes each and every day, and yes, looking back now the show was so poorly made, but it was still great for some reason. I think as a generational thing, Gen Xers stay loyal to the things they treasure, sometimes even if the quality has diminished. That's why I still follow WWF and it's history even though it's unwatchable and not for me anymore, and I'm a KISS and melodic rock fan still even though if I totally understand why many people don't understand it!!! I love finding new gems that are unique like Mr. Robot (season one), Black Mirror, etc, but I still love the classic and shows like Welcome Back Kotter, Married With Children, Wonder Years, etc stand out and are timeless to me regardless if they weren't shot in HD.

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » January 6th, 2017, 2:05 am

I'll watch an ALF or Perfect Strangers or Golden Girls and laugh the whole way through. They had better jokes.
So true, Greg. :like:

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » January 12th, 2017, 7:23 pm

I was born in 1991 so I grew up with the 90's but I don't like a lot of what is produced now and mainly watch older movies. I like 70's, 80's and 90's films the most but have enjoyed movies from the 1950's and 60's as well.

Love James Bond but I prefer all the pre 1990 films. I love 80's and 90's music and honestly cannot stand the likes of Iggy Azalea, Rihanna, Chris Brown or anyone who is big right now. In terms of celebrities I love Sean Connery, Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis and Marlon Brando a hell of a lot more than the likes of Chris Hemsworth, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber or whoever else is huge right now.

The only stuff I don't like that is old are houses and sport. I feel the evolution of sport is massive and it's improved for the better. Older homes have always been a turn off.

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Post by overthetop17 » January 12th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I just feel the simpler the better...I do not need all this technological stuff that they have nowadays. Mostly all the Honeymooners episodes were filmed in one room and I love it, and the Twilight Zone from back in the day...IMO can't touch it. Classic WWF compared to WWE is cheesy and bad wrestling a lot of the time, but great characters and pure magic. 90% of new stuff does nothing for me....I really believe that those of us who grew up in the 80's or earlier and can remember it to some extent feel this way. I work with some people who are more 90's or late 90's kids and they don't get what i mean. My only guess as to why they feel this way is that technology was greater for them and they just never know what it was like to experience some of the simpler things? That's all I can come up with. I hate having to tell these people there was an original Karate Kid...or Mad Max...they have no idea. :smh:
I miss the days of TV Guide and standing on line in the cold for concert tickets.... :lol: