Crazy Old Man

Speak freely about life and everything in it
Indynut
Full Fledged Mark

Crazy Old Man

Post by Indynut »

Since Mom died 11 years ago, my father has become paranoid. He thinks every car is passing the house is watching him. I have caught him dialing 911 only to hang up before a dispatcher answers. He thinks our neighbors are sticking drug needles on him when his foot is hurting. I told him many times he should seek help from a doctor. He lets it all go to deaf ears. I have given him many hidden messages that I don't want to listen to him bitch about these things. He has accused me of drugging him when we are both off from work. It is very hard for me to drug him since I don't do any drugs what so ever. When I am at work, I feel like I will be coming home to Jekyll and Hyde instead of my Dad. He won't take no for an answer let alone a hint.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Crazy Old Man

Post by WOODMO »

:shockawe:
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

Damn dude! this situation sounds like a horror story, for both you and your father! Appears he's beset with paranoid schizophrenia, delusional tendency and his mind in some altered reality. I think he needs serious psychiatric help. Obviously he's NOT going to want to admit to any problems, let alone seek any help. As the son, I think the responsibility falls on you to have him admitted (even against his will) to a hospital or psyche ward, at least for an evaluation of some kind. And without proper treatment or meds, this could escalate into something drastic and end badly.
I wish you both luck man...
wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair »

People that old don't just get schizophrenia. Sadly, he either has dementia with paranoid features or major depressive disorder with paranoid features. In any case, you should hospitalize him before he hurts himself or someone else. If it's something caused by depression, then it can be fixed very easily with medication. If it's dementia, then it's best to know now so preparation can be made for when he deteriorates further.
Indynut
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Indynut »

From an emotional standpoint, I am not ready for life after he dies. If this gets to the point of him attacking me, then I will report him for an evaluation.
wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair »

He is more likely to die or get injured if you do nothing. Depression-induced psychosis is not uncommon in men over 55. If that's all it is, treatment is actually fairly simple. If you let him deteriorate, it'll get a lot worse.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Sounds to me like he has symptoms of early dementia. How old is he?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Indynut
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Indynut »

wewantflair wrote: February 28th, 2017, 11:50 pm He is more likely to die or get injured if you do nothing. Depression-induced psychosis is not uncommon in men over 55. If that's all it is, treatment is actually fairly simple. If you let him deteriorate, it'll get a lot worse.
He wouldn't listen to me before, I doubt he will listen now. I don't if I dial 911 or if there is other numbers out there to report him.
Indynut
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Indynut »

class316 wrote: March 1st, 2017, 6:51 am Sounds to me like he has symptoms of early dementia. How old is he?
He is 69 years old.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Indynut wrote: March 1st, 2017, 5:08 pm
class316 wrote: March 1st, 2017, 6:51 am Sounds to me like he has symptoms of early dementia. How old is he?
He is 69 years old.
A little young for dementia to be setting in, but not implausible. I suggest a brain scan of some kind.
wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair »

Call 911.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

wewantflair wrote: March 1st, 2017, 6:56 pmCall 911.
Why involve the government. You'd just be asking for more headaches.

However go to the doctor and get a brain scan. See what is wrong.
Indynut
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Indynut »

If I called 911, I would just get an ambulance to take him to a hospital.
wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair »

Exactly. If he won't go to the doctor voluntarily, that's the only way to do it.
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

class316 wrote: March 1st, 2017, 10:34 pm
wewantflair wrote: March 1st, 2017, 6:56 pmCall 911.
Why involve the government. You'd just be asking for more headaches.

However go to the doctor and get a brain scan. See what is wrong.
Steve, you are such a twit! How do you make it through the day without sounding like an imbecile is beyond me! How's calling 911 involving the government? Calling 911 is the appropriate local authorities you need to contact when someone you know could possibly cause physical and bodily harm not just to himself, but others! like...duh! Indy's father isn't just mumbling or talking to himself, it's way beyond that!

you, on the other hand...you need to get your brain scan and see what's wrong! Worse case scenario is they won't find a brain inside your head!

Indy, it's quite simple. The longer you let this go on, the more serious the outcome may be. Do you want to chance it? You really need to take preventive measures. You asked for our opinions, and we've offered it. It's up to you from this point on. Be pro-active. You might just end up saving his life!