2018 Markedout in memoriam

Speak freely about life and everything in it
class316
Marked Out God

2018 Markedout in memoriam

Post by class316 »

With 2018 coming to a close, let us look back on the 2018 passing of former board member and combo hunter Andrew Davis, AKA Bako AKA HollywoodsGreatest (1978 - 2018)

Most board members today may not remember him, but he was once a staple of this board, contributing many reports, both actors and wrestling. He was also at the center of many feuds in the old days of this board. In his heyday he had multiple smilies including full bodied smilies. In fact, outside of myself and Ira I don't think any other board member ever had more smilies than him.

Recently he even had a baby girl. In eerie irony he took that baby to the graves of his grandparents. Now her mother will be taking her to see her father's grave.

I never met him in person, but we communicated via facebook, texting, and phone. In one of my last conversations with him, he was at the airport trying for a Ken Shamrock flight that I found for him. Somehow Shamrock was no where to be found and TSA was looking for Shamrock and even asked Bako if he was Shamrock. He was on the phone telling me the story while laughing and chuckling. I don't recall ever hearing someone so cheerful after failing to get someone at the airport. Ultimately his health (or lack of) sadly took a toll on him.

RIP
Andrew "Bako" Davis
(1978 - 2018)
https://www.facebook.com/WWEHollywood
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=263

In a duet with Dean Sams

Video tribute

Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Re: 2018 Markedout in memoriam

Post by Jason1980s »

Touching tribute, Steve. Great memorial to Andrew. It's sad when anyone dies but at 40 years old, that Is just life being unfair.

I would like to add Nikolai Volkoff to this thread not as a celebrity guest spot but as a marking out fan much like any of us. Nikolai was a huge fan of many guys he wrestled against in his main era of the 1970s and 80s and even 1990s. His heroes were Bruno Sammartino, Freddie Blassie and Gorilla Monsoon.

Nikolai wrestled in many promotions, even more than a huge fan might know. He was fan of Butch Reed, Jim Niedhart, Ted Dibiase, Ron Simmons, Greg Valentine, Bobby Heenan, Fred Ottman, Tito Santana, Bill Eadie and Barry Darsow among some of the convention regulars.

He was a huge fan of the TV show NCIS and had every season on DVD along with watching the USA reruns and the latest seasons on CBS. He loved subway sandwiches and would even "mark out" at the regular clerks at his shop, who would load his sub with toppings. He enjoyed reading books on alternative medicine and dieting and could probably tell you more about the book authors than some of his wrestling matches or storylines. He even had a small color photo of an Indian healer lady that he met at a healing ceremony in DC last year.

At conventions Nikolai would ask for signed 8x10s of some of his favorite wrestlers, having them make them out to "my good friend Nikolai." Additionally he would get his photos taken with other wrestlers and celebrity guests at conventions. The last major show we attended was a legion hall signing with Bud Carson of Pro Wrestling World. Here's a photo I took of Nikolai with Shane Douglas and Dominic Denucci and D'Lo Brown and Paul Ellering.
DSCN6640.JPG
DSCN6649.JPG
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart
oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Re: Another 2018 toll: Perverted Justice

Post by oldschoolwwwf »

Will this make he who immmediately sells autographs of those are who are recently deceased celebratory? Does this erase that incident that cost he who immediately sells autographs of those recently deceased ownership of roh?
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

class316 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 2:06 pm Also to be fair, immediately selling authentic autos of dead wrestlers is just good business.
Key word "authentic". When a wrestler drops dead and somebody immediately FORGES and sells their graphs before the body is even cold, which is what happened in the situation involving this person, that's just...being a piece of garbage.
oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf »

Yeah, for this board, I thought it would have been obvious I was referring to forged autographs but I guess not.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

oldschoolwwwf wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:05 pm Yeah, for this board, I thought it would have been obvious I was referring to forged autographs but I guess not.
Literally quoting his name, providing links to old posts, and whatnot would go over his clogged head.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby »

When a wrestler drops dead and somebody immediately FORGES and sells their graphs before the body is even cold, which is what happened in the situation involving this person
Anyone that looks at the evidence presented and *still* thinks the Piper autos are real is a brain-dead moron.