Double or Nothing Review

lanza218
Site Admin

Double or Nothing Review

Post by lanza218 » May 26th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Overall was ok. Ambrose showing up was good. Fenix/Pentagon are amazing but wasn't crazy about the match. Dustin vs Cody pretty good. Jericho vs Omega I was meh on.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: Double or Nothing Review

Post by class316 » May 27th, 2019, 12:06 am

Show had adult elements that I miss in wrestling.

Cody smashing the throne, while entertaining and comical, makes Cody and AEW seem pathetic.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Double or Nothing Revie

Post by WOODMO » May 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

Cody and Dustin was phenomenal. Rest of the card was solid

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 28th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I enjoyed the show from top to bottom.

It's been a while since I've sat through a show that I've enjoyed as much as I did with Double or Nothing (outside of Wrestle Kingdom). I always enjoy the NXT Takeovers but there's been a certain level of repetitiveness to them lately. Also, it's hard to become invested in their roster when I know the majority of them will be criminally misused when they're called up to WWE.

I was genuinely invested in everyone that appeared on the card. I'm going to give my thoughts on the card but here's some pros and cons from yours truly:

Pros:
  • Every match felt important
  • Jim Ross & Excalibur were fantastic on commentary (I didn't expect JR to be that good)
  • I loved how they increased the amount of time a team is allowed in the ring to perform a tag team move
  • MJF is essentially a better version of the Miz on the mic and someone who can actually wrestle
  • Bret Hart was a great and truly unexpected surprise
  • Post-show interviews were great and add to the "sports" feel they're going for
  • The ring reminded me of WCW. I hate how polished the WWE ring looks
  • No stupid segments that waste time
  • Jon Moxley felt like a legitimate superstar. I haven't cared about him in so many years that I forgot how truly great he was. He looked absolutely liberated and it was such a breathe of fresh air seeing him
  • Cody destroying the throne was great. The crowd was clearly a "FUCK WWE!" type crowd and, as someone who feels that way, I could not have loved that segment more. I don't think AEW should be humble in the slightest.
Cons:
  • Battle Royal could've been better and done without so many meh guys in it, especially when the winner gets a title shot
  • Alex Marvez was horrific the entire night. Truly bad.
  • They need to improve on the direction of camera cuts
  • I thought they overbooked the title presentation. I get MJF interrupting because he's obviously going to be such a big star and you want him to get exposure (and he was great in that segment) but having Jungle Boy then Jimmy Havon come out and chase him around the arena while Bret holds the belt around? I would've had Bret just present the title in front of Hangman, Jericho, and Omega and maybe have MJF interrupt at the end
Thoughts on the card:

SoCal Uncensored vs. Strong Hearts - Such a GREAT opener, really a perfect match to open the show with. I gave it ****.

Dr. Britt Baker vs. Kylie Rae vs. Nyla Rose vs. Awesome Kong - Kong was a great surprise and I *love* the troll job by Brandi (coming out in her gear and pretending like she was going to insert herself into the match. I groaned when she came out but was so pumped when the reveal was Kong). Britt Baker is (and should be the face of the division while Rae is going to be a big star. Meltzer said AEW will book her with the attitude of "Hey WWE, you fucked up Bayley so badly that we're gonna show you how to do it). I thought Rose is a notch below all of them and a little green. I gave it *** 1/4.

Best Friends vs. Angelico & Jack Evans - Such a fun tag match. Jack Evans is criminally underrated and has been for quite sometime. I gave this ***1/2.

Hikaru Shida, Riho Abe, and Ryo Mizunami vs. Aja Kong, Yuka Sakazaki, and Emi Sakura - This was a legit GREAT Joshi match that, unfortunately, was affected by the premature bell from the time keeper (though the referee handled it beautifully). I would give it **** without that botch, so it's a ***3/4. I talked with some fans who haven't seen any Joshi matches, so they weren't sure what to make of the style. I think it will become more popular with more exposure every week.

Cody vs. Brandi - Easily the match of the night and match of the year candidate. It gets the full ***** from me.

Lucha Brothers vs. Young Bucks - They've had better matches but this was still really good. I'd give it ***3/4.

Jericho vs. Omega - Fun main event but Jericho has had better matches in New Japan. I'd give it ***1/2. The aftermath with Moxley was TREMENDOUS. He felt like such a mega star and his "declaration of war" promo that appeared on Twitter was amazing.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » May 28th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I'm so pissed I missed MJF at wrestlecon.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » May 29th, 2019, 3:42 pm

class316 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:55 pm
I'm so pissed I missed MJF at wrestlecon.
I think Lanza & I suggested you get him.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » May 29th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Yep. Literally right in front of his face

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 30th, 2019, 10:31 am

MJF uploaded a vlog about his Mania weekend and included some clips of him interacting with fans at his table during WrestleCon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VEwOzBpjo
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » May 30th, 2019, 11:57 am

He is great. I'm actually more excited to watch MLW than WWE every week and hope those guys get a good shine in AEW. Still a lil skeptical how a weekly TV show will work but def intrigued.

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » May 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm

ICW wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 10:31 am
MJF uploaded a vlog about his Mania weekend and included some clips of him interacting with fans at his table during WrestleCon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VEwOzBpjo
Oh god,that's me giving him the hand sanitizer in the video.