Wrestlemania: Thrill Ride! Thoughts

lanza218
Site Admin

Wrestlemania: Thrill Ride! Thoughts

Post by lanza218 » April 3rd, 2017, 3:48 am

Watched most of it. Enjoyed it. Mojo terrible choice to win. Stoman being reduced to nothing is dumb. Goldberg/Lesnar was good. Styles maybbbbe a bit to long but very good. Hardyz great cept ya im notpicking but wasnt exactly Broken Matt. Miss Vanguard 1. Cena proposal fine. Reigns/Taker was more Taker being too old to do anything. I think He is finally done. New dsy was a waste. Both womens matches fine. Expected more outta Ko/Jerico but again was fine. JR great. Not better than XXX but 2nd best in last 6 WM id say

mrira
Marked Out King

Re: Wrestlemania: Thrill Ride! Thoughts

Post by mrira » April 3rd, 2017, 6:19 am

I think Mojo only won to get an ESPN moment with Rob Gronkowski.I think once that Impact lawsuit clears up we will see the "Broken" Hardys in WWE. Kind of hope Brock doesn't stay champ for long.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 3rd, 2017, 7:05 am

OK, I'll break this down to let downs, exceeded expectations, and just right.

Letdowns:
New Day - I like the guys and their act but they just had nothing good last night. I expected fun moments with legends, but they were less entertaining than they are on an average RAW.
Mojo - Why would he win? It should have gone to Big Show as a retirement send off, or Braun/Sami, if they wanted to put someone over. Eliminating the big men early on totally let the air out of the match for me.

Exceeded:
Tag Team Ladder Match - Hardys winning was a cool moment. I hope they are at least partially Broken, I suspect they will be, as they already had some of those mannerisms. Also, WWE on Facebook mentioned NEW DAY having just BROKEN, in all caps, some WM news.
Taker/Roman - I expected bad, and this wasn't a classic wrestling match, but Roman threw himself around enough and Taker took just enough of a beating to give me a big fight feel and keep me glued to the action.
Taker Retirement - This was perfectly executed.

Matched expectations:
Pretty much everything else. Some things felt rushed, but it was what I expected and I was fine with it all.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » April 3rd, 2017, 7:41 am

Finally dinosaur is hanging it up. Easily the best part. Give him the HOF next year so we don't need to see his crippled ass anymore.

Hardy return/win a close second.

Fell asleep during Orton/Bray
should have cut concert & 6 pack challenge completely and let us see Ambrose/Corbin

HHH/Rollins, AJ/Shane both too long

A solid 7. best wwe show since mania 31
:dj:

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » April 3rd, 2017, 7:48 am

But ur not a fan so why even try to watch??

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am

lanza218 wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 7:48 am
This.

The product isn't for you and you are vocally opposed to it, why put yourself through the torture?

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » April 3rd, 2017, 7:55 am

lanza218 wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 7:48 am
Some traditions die hard.

Clearly not a fan of the current/recent manure. When is the last time I ever attempted to meet a WWE active talent? In general the product is unwatchable. Mania supposed to be one nigh to pull out all the stops. I see a show that is hours too long with average work for the most part. The company needs some major philosophy adjustments for me to ever tune in weekly or even monthly ever again.
:dj:

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » April 3rd, 2017, 11:15 am

I watched from just before 10 through the end at midnight...man, this thing is long...
a few thoughts, spoilers

missed most of the event..

i really enjoyed lesnar-goldberg- think they scripted that perfectly, didnt squash goldberg as lesnars leap frog lead to his taking over...very very well done

no interest in orton -bray, or the sd tag match..was doing other things and would occasionally look up at the tv....nice finish to hhh - rollins but i was pretty bored with it up to that point.

takers match i thought was brutally boring..had a few exciting moments but the end seemed anti-climatic and lackluster..didnt feel like roman really got any extra prestige from the win..should have just let taker win then..

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » April 3rd, 2017, 12:34 pm

I thought it was a mostly terrible WrestleMania. It was an exhausting show to sit through and that was without most of the bullshit backstage skits that usually plague WrestleMania. I thought there was one really great match (ladder match) while the rest of the card was filled with horrible matches or solid matches w/no heat.

Here's my breakdown (SPOILERS):
Neville def. Austin Aries to retain WWE Cruiserweight Championship - A very solid match and I was very, very surprised with the amount of time they were given. The lack of any sort of heat really hurt it and I'm not sure I agree with Neville (the heel) winning but he's a great character so it's not a terrible decision by any means. I'd give it **3/4.

Mojo Rawley wins the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal - A Battle Royal filled with geeks that was ultimately won by one of the biggest geeks on the entire roster because of his friendship with Rob Gronkowski. I get why WWE chose Rawly - mainstream attention! - but Strowman being tossed out so early in the match is really frustrating. It doesn't kill him but this should've been his moment to just eliminate everyone and solidify that "unstoppable monster" persona. The final three or four competitors were REALLY questionable, too. Jinder Mahal? Titus O'Neil? The hell...

Dean Ambrose def. Baron Corbin to retain WWE Intercontinental Championship - This was a fucking terrible match. TERRIBLE. -** stars for me.

AJ Styles def. Shane McMahon - It was better than I expected but it went on way, way too long and it's an absolute joke that it was mostly a straight wrestling match. AJ is legitimately one of the best wrestlers in the entire world and Shane McMahon is a 47 year old man who's never been a wrestler. I'll give this one **1/2.

Kevin Owens def. Chris Jericho to win the WWE United States Championship - A solid match but I did expect more. The finish felt sudden. We all knew Owens was going to win this match. I'll give it **3/4.

Bayley def. Charlotte, Sasha Banks, & Nia Jax to retain the WWE Women's Championship - The booking coming into this match was really, really bad. Bayley winning the title on RAW and successfully defending it at WrestleMania <<<< Bayley winning the title at WrestleMania. Also, her victory also means that she's likely losing her title in her hometown of San Jose at the next PPV. It was a solid match - Charlotte's moonsault to the outside was a thing of beauty. I'll give it **3/4

The Hardy Boyz def. Gallows & Anderson, Sheamus & Cesaro, and Enzo & Cass to win the WWE RAW Tag Team Championship - The Hardy's return was speculated for WEEKS but it was still a really pleasant surprise that got a massive reaction. It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here. I thought this was the best match of the show. ***3/4.

John Cena & Nikki Bella def. The Miz & Maryse - It was a horrible match but this was all about the finish, which has been speculated on for months. Nikki's reaction did little to sell John's really nice proposal. **.

Seth Rollins def. HHH in an Unsanctioned Match - This was the typical HHH WrestleMania match. I thought the psychology behind it made sense but it lacked heat. It felt like it went longer than it did and the only thing that woke up the crowd was Stephanie going through the table. **1/2.

Randy Orton def. Bray Wyatt to win the WWE Championship - TERRIBLE match with the silly fucking "mindgames" from Wyatt that made him look like a gigantic geek. Terrible. *.

Brock Lesnar def. Goldberg to win the WWE Universal Championship - I thought this was a good 4 minute match. Exactly what Goldberg/Lesnar should'e been. ***

Namoi wins the WWE Smackdown's Women's Championship in a Six-Pack Challenge - Good for what it was. I'll give it **3/4

Roman Reigns def. The Undertaker - Awful match. IF this was the Undertaker's last match...he friggin lost at WrestleMania to someone everyone despises, who's supposed to be the company's top babyface now and for years to come. It didn't feel right, honestly. It was great to see/hear Jim Ross but he couldn't save this match. Roman is so not the guy, not without going on a strong heel run first, and this is the third straight Mania main event where he was booed out of the building. I'll give this **, only because of the Undertaker's goodbye.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 3rd, 2017, 3:58 pm

My question is will the Taker hit the con circuit?
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » April 3rd, 2017, 4:47 pm

People are already trying, believe you me, but it's going to be hard to get him to one (I think).
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm

ICW wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 4:47 pm
People are already trying, believe you me, but it's going to be hard to get him to one (I think).
The Wizard's can afford him, they've already done so. Smaller ones like LOTR or Big Event, not happening.

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » April 3rd, 2017, 5:09 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm
ICW wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 4:47 pm
The Wizard's can afford him, they've already done so. Smaller ones like LOTR or Big Event, not happening.
I wouldn't count BE or LOTR out, honestly. Maybe not right away or anything but I could see it. It's not for a lack of effort.

Big Show is someone who's probably going to do a few sooner rather than later.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 3rd, 2017, 5:12 pm

ICW wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 5:09 pm
I wouldn't count BE or LOTR out, honestly. Maybe not right away or anything but I could see it. It's not for a lack of effort.

Big Show is someone who's probably going to do a few sooner rather than later.
For the same reason they can't get Austin, they can't get Taker. It's too expensive for them to lay out the cash upfront, and then hope to sell a few hundred tickets at a couple hundred bucks a piece. Big Show would be far, far cheaper.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » April 3rd, 2017, 9:55 pm

You can easily count BE and LOTR out.....