NXT changes that fans will hate?

Greg2600

NXT changes that fans will hate?

Post by Greg2600 » August 19th, 2019, 9:45 pm

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/08/19 ... ame-again/
During Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez went into some very good detail about how Vince McMahon is not only likely to change NXT’s weekly television show, but he will also likely change everything fans ever loved about their TakeOver specials as well.

“My God, if you guys love those TakeOvers, kiss them goodbye.”

“I mean — I’m sure they will [produce a TakeOver to compete with an AEW pay-per-view]. My point is, you guys know those TakeOvers, you know why they’re so special, well, it’s because Triple H puts together those TakeOvers with the best wrestlers vs the best wrestlers the best he can — there are some exceptions sometimes, but the cards are designed to have the best wrestlers wrestling each other and you go backward twelve weeks or whatever and you write TV to lead you to that — done!”

“Those days are over everyone, they’re done.”

“Vince is not going to put together a TakeOver with the intention of having the best wrestlers face each other. He’s going to have the people who he thinks are the biggest stars facing each other whether they gel in the ring or not. How many Baron Corbin matches do we have for crying out loud?”
I have no skin in the game, so I leave it to the experts here to discuss!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: NXT changes that fans will hate?

Post by AJLe » August 19th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Him stating definitive opinions on how future Takeover shows are going to be booked several months from now is kinda eye-rolly. Nobody (including the guys who work there on creative) seem to be able to accurately predict how Raw will be booked three weeks from tonight, but they're sure about what the creative direction Takeover shows three months down the line are going to be like?

Pro wrestling "journalism" these days is pretty weak. Fans should watch what they like, skip stuff they don't, and form their own opinions. People sitting at home in August, and already being pissed off about how they're not going to like a Thanksgiving time show (that likely isn't even tentatively laid out yet) because of some wrestling newz internet report, seems like the most miserable type of fandom possible.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm

However NXT will be, I don't get why AEW will planning to wage a war against it on Wednesday nights.

If AEW pounces NXT all they will be able to claim is they pounced the WWE training grounds. Big whoop.

If NXT gets higher ratings than AEW how embarrassing will it be for them to lose against NXT.

For the short term at least AEW should not be going head to head against WWE. Let them take Smackdown's former spot on Tuesday nights.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 20th, 2019, 8:33 am

class316 wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm
However NXT will be, I don't get why AEW will planning to wage a war against it on Wednesday nights.

If AEW pounces NXT all they will be able to claim is they pounced the WWE training grounds. Big whoop.

If NXT gets higher ratings than AEW how embarrassing will it be for them to lose against NXT.

For the short term at least AEW should not be going head to head against WWE. Let them take Smackdown's former spot on Tuesday nights.
The Wednesday night spot is already set. They can’t change.

I think this will largely be bad for NXT

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » August 20th, 2019, 8:58 am

I think the fact that wrestling fans give even the slightest of craps about what ratings are/will be is lame. I mean, there's no other show I've ever watched on TV where fans are like "Well, the episode was fine, but the show it runs against on another network got a 0.8 higher rating during the final quarter-hour, so that's gotta be a big disappointment..."

I'll watch either or both shows if they're good, but since I don't work for either company, I could give a flying F what ratings any of them get compared to each other.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 20th, 2019, 9:02 am

$$$ wise it will be good for them. Ads,sponsors, and USA dumping $$ into production. Plus they have so many talents literally doing nothing at a time. I wont write it off just yet as I wont write off AEW yet. I dont think the Takeovers will suffer much bc while the matches have still been good there is something diff about the recent ones compared to the older ones.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » August 20th, 2019, 9:36 am

No idea if true, but people on social media are reporting that WWE is getting a $50M rights fee from USA to air NXT. So if that's the case, it's already a great business move, regardless of how the show compares to AEW.

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » August 20th, 2019, 9:52 am

NXT will air 2 hours live from Full Sail starting September 18

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » August 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

I think this is potentially very bad for NXT. I said it when WWE announced Heyman & Bischoff coming onboard and I'll say it again: none of this matters if Vince McMahon is booking the product.

Vince started this "war" (and it's not even a war). All of this is being done to intentionally go head-to-head with AEW on Wednesday nights. I don't see Vince delegating the booking to anyone else, so I think the fear that Vince will strip away everything that makes AEW so great is totally justified.

Vince has done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt here, in my opinion.

Dollars wise, it sounds like an absolute no-brainer for WWE.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm

ICW wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

Vince has done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt here, in my opinion.
Well Vince is the 600th richest person in the world. All of us are considerably poorer. So he is doing something right here

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » August 20th, 2019, 12:12 pm

class316 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm
ICW wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

Well Vince is the 600th richest person in the world. All of us are considerably poorer. So he is doing something right here
I'm talking strictly about the creative aspect of how he books his television. It's largely been shit for decades.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 20th, 2019, 12:22 pm

ICW wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I'm talking strictly about the creative aspect of how he books his television. It's largely been shit for decades.
Perhaps so. But again, he has been making tons of money with "shit". So he is definitely ahead of us.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm

AJLe wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 8:58 am
I think the fact that wrestling fans give even the slightest of craps about what ratings are/will be is lame. I mean, there's no other show I've ever watched on TV where fans are like "Well, the episode was fine, but the show it runs against on another network got a 0.8 higher rating during the final quarter-hour, so that's gotta be a big disappointment..."

I'll watch either or both shows if they're good, but since I don't work for either company, I could give a flying F what ratings any of them get compared to each other.
I agree, but there’s actually a television community on tvbythenumbers.com where fans actively track and discuss weekly ratings trends. I go on there to see which shows are tracking for renewal and don’t care for the discussion, but it’s not just wrestling fans.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » August 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm

class316 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm
That was before the XFL 2020.....
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

NXT can benefit from two hours. Their roster is very deep and they can easily handle it. I just don’t want it to feel like RAW format wise, and I feel like Vince will want his “winning format” here. That’s what scares me.