Site Admin

Re: GFW, the former TNA, in big $$$ trouble

Post by lanza218 »

0 shot
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

mrira wrote: September 8th, 2017, 8:01 pm I feel like the only 2 companies who could possibly give WWE any competition is ROH since, like CM said, they have the more "I'm not competing with WWE" thing going & they have an audience & good talent. NJPW could also compete with WWE if the takeover of America works as well as it did in LA.
But they are WWE's bitch, Ira. ROH is the whore that spreads its legs whenever WWE comes to town.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

WWE isn't even competing with WWE at it's best anymore. The landscape has changed drastically and there will never be another viable US company. WWE is MLB, and you just need to accept a new league won't be popping up to compete.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

WOODMO wrote: September 10th, 2017, 7:24 am WWE isn't even competing with WWE at it's best anymore. The landscape has changed drastically and there will never be another viable US company. WWE is MLB, and you just need to accept a new league won't be popping up to compete.
Yep, pretty much what I was implying

Side note, even I get the MLB reference
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

Meltzer talks about this all the time and I agree with him that NJPW stands the best chance of being a true competitor to WWE but that would take years, perhaps a decade +, for them to a truly serious competitor. WWE has nothing to worry about in the immediate future but NJPW should continue expanding into the USA. If they retain guys like Kenny Omega, Kazuchika Okada, the Young Bucks, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito and signed Michael Elgin, Ricochet, and Will Ospreay long-term...
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I don't think NJPW could ever catch on in a WWE sort of way. Not unless all the talent could cut promos in English. The way it is handled now I just can't see much beyond a TNA ceiling
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Apparently rumors of GFW's demise have been exaggerated.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... fw-status/
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

class316 wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:15 am Apparently rumors of GFW's demise have been exaggerated.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... fw-status/
What do you expect the guy running the company to say - "Yes, it's true that we're losing money at a massive rate - anybody out there still interested in buying us out?"
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

AJLe wrote: September 11th, 2017, 8:29 am What do you expect the guy running the company to say - "Yes, it's true that we're losing money at a massive rate - anybody out there still interested in buying us out?"
No, but he could say nothing. Cause if they ended up folding he will look stupid.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

class316 wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:31 pm
AJLe wrote: September 11th, 2017, 8:29 am What do you expect the guy running the company to say - "Yes, it's true that we're losing money at a massive rate - anybody out there still interested in buying us out?"
No, but he could say nothing. Cause if they ended up folding he will look stupid.
TNA reps denied they were getting booted from Spike before they got booted from Spike, and Dixie denied the company was for sale before they sold the company.

TNA reps lie a lot, and they never seem to be concerned with looking stupid later.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

WOODMO wrote: September 10th, 2017, 7:24 am WWE isn't even competing with WWE at it's best anymore. The landscape has changed drastically and there will never be another viable US company. WWE is MLB, and you just need to accept a new league won't be popping up to compete.
You are right about them not competing with themselves. Vince put the kabosh on that...FAST. Every bit of momentum NXT gets, Vince quickly raids the cubbard and buries most of the talent.

I disagree that there wont be another viable US company. It can happen and I believe at some point...it will happen. None of us might be alive for it...Vince probably will be though.

And the difference between MLB and WWE is MLB isnt based on creativity. Its a sport. That being said, MLB continues to look at how it can make its sports better, more fun and safer. WWE seems to do the opposite. Thats why WWE needs competition where MLB does not. Maybe the closest we have seen in a sport for competition is MMA. UFC and Bellator are somewhat competitors. Bellator would like to be on the same level as UFC, but they arent. But again...there isnt a whole lot Bellator can do to overtake UFC. Even when it has landed some UFC stars...its never been able to actually compete with UFC.
ICW wrote: September 10th, 2017, 4:55 pm Meltzer talks about this all the time and I agree with him that NJPW stands the best chance of being a true competitor to WWE but that would take years, perhaps a decade +, for them to a truly serious competitor. WWE has nothing to worry about in the immediate future but NJPW should continue expanding into the USA. If they retain guys like Kenny Omega, Kazuchika Okada, the Young Bucks, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito and signed Michael Elgin, Ricochet, and Will Ospreay long-term...
I dont think NJPW can be a true competitor to WWE. I think NJPW faces the same problem that WWE does with Asian stars...the inability to truly get them over. NJPW puts out a niche product. The sheep of WWE arent into Nakamura...and they wont get into The Rainmaker or Tanahashi. I dont want to say its xenophobia...but it kind of is. And language barriers certainly do not help when the sheep need to hear them on the mic.

BTW...Elgin sucks. I have NEVER liked Elgin and have NEVER seen why people were into him.
AJLe wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:03 pm
class316 wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:31 pm
TNA reps denied they were getting booted from Spike before they got booted from Spike, and Dixie denied the company was for sale before they sold the company.

TNA reps lie a lot, and they never seem to be concerned with looking stupid later.
Many times when a company is being sold, there is a clause in place where it cant be discussed or acknowledged. I was working at a place that the owner was sending emails out that she was not selling and that it was all just rumors. We knew it was BS. The chatter continued and she called a meeting and ranted and raved that she was not selling the company that been in her family for almost 100 years. She even told investors that it was all false and began to start breaking ground for expansion. 2 weeks later, it was announced she had sold the company and we were all out of a job. All we got was a stupid email stating we were out of work and that she is sorry for having to make a big to do about the "false rumors". The more chatter there was...the other company would pull out on the deal. Hush, hush is very important. Not 100% sure why...but it is.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

cmshowstopper wrote: September 11th, 2017, 5:01 pmMany times when a company is being sold, there is a clause in place where it cant be discussed or acknowledged. I was working at a place that the owner was sending emails out that she was not selling and that it was all just rumors. We knew it was BS. The chatter continued and she called a meeting and ranted and raved that she was not selling the company that been in her family for almost 100 years. She even told investors that it was all false and began to start breaking ground for expansion. 2 weeks later, it was announced she had sold the company and we were all out of a job. All we got was a stupid email stating we were out of work and that she is sorry for having to make a big to do about the "false rumors". The more chatter there was...the other company would pull out on the deal. Hush, hush is very important. Not 100% sure why...but it is.
wow, interesting story
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

The only way WWE is ever competed with again is if their numbers keep dropping low enough where pro wrestling is a niche entity even on the WWE level. No other company will reach even the WWE level right now in terms of numbers on North American soil.
crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar »

I would imagine admitting that the company is in trouble would put potential buyers at an advantage and it would be ultimately a poor decision.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

WOODMO wrote: September 12th, 2017, 8:50 am The only way WWE is ever competed with again is if their numbers keep dropping low enough where pro wrestling is a niche entity even on the WWE level. No other company will reach even the WWE level right now in terms of numbers on North American soil.
I agree with this. The only company that's even worth discussing "competing" with them is New Japan, and the trouble with them running in the US is that if they ran regularly in the major US cities, the novelty would eventually wear off and it wouldn't be the big deal that it currently is when NJPW guys show up over here a handful of times. Also, from a logistical standpoint, New Japan would have to run semi-regularly in the US to compete with WWE while still running their home markets in Japan at the same time. It's the same reasons why WWE only tours Japan a couple of times a year.