Kevin Steen captured the Ring of Honor World Championship

Ring of Honor
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Re: Kevin Steen captured the Ring of Honor World Championshi

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

WOODMO wrote:How about Mike Bennett? In what I've seen, which is admittedly just a few YouTube vignettes, he seems to have "it", or at least the chance to turn it into "it".

Is he too green/new to the ROH scene for a title run?
Gulp.. We actually agree on something..

I think Bennett's somewhat green for ROH's fanbase.

That said, I don't know how much longer he'll be around as in terms of the P's and Q's of wrestling, I think he's TNA or WWE development ready.
Joeystylesfan
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Joeystylesfan »

cmshowstopper wrote: When I look at all the World Champions ROH has had....Steen is by far the WORSE.

You honestly believe he will be worse than Jerry Lynn, Xavier, Roderick, Black and Edwards?
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

WOODMO wrote:How about Mike Bennett? In what I've seen, which is admittedly just a few YouTube vignettes, he seems to have "it", or at least the chance to turn it into "it".

Is he too green/new to the ROH scene for a title run?
Bennett is a strong character and cuts a decent promo. I just dont see his in ring work matching to ROH standards. Steen is far superior in the ring to Bennett.

joeystylesfan wrote:
cmshowstopper wrote: When I look at all the World Champions ROH has had....Steen is by far the WORSE.

You honestly believe he will be worse than Jerry Lynn, Xavier, Roderick, Black and Edwards?
Meh....good point. Xavier is pretty meh. Roderick was meh too, only saving grace was Martini. I dont have issue with Lynn. Lynn is more than just a solid worker. Eddie Edwards is a step or 2 above Roderick. But Tyler Black?!?!!?! Are you for real?!?!?! Black was fucking awesome and still is! Just b/c ROH dropped the ball on putting the belt on him, should have been done about a year before he actually got it.....doesnt make him a boring champion. Black is SORELY missed in ROH right now.
californiachris
Full Fledged Mark

Post by californiachris »

Couldn't disagree more with the Steen/ROH bashing. Steen is probably the most intriguing storyline in all of wrestling well in my opinion. I had no clue people didn't like davey either. Not really a promo guy but his matches are awesome. Reminds me of Tyler Black in pursuit of the title and everyone giving him a BJ til he got the belt and everyone suddenly hated him. ROH is different now but there's still not a promotion in the Big 3 (if you will) that i'd rather watch.
Sig
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Sig »

I'm curious if those who are shitting on this have actually followed the Steen storyline for any length of time... or at all.

Davey can turn heel now out of frustration, since he's a better heel anyways, and Steen, Jimmy and Corino can go on torturing Cornette, and holding the company hostage.

To the poster who agreed with Austin Aries' comments, you all realize Aries said that stuff because he's bitter they were done using him, right? Sure there's no Joe or Punk, but ROH has never needed "names" to be efficient. "ROH" the brand is the draw, not Davey, not Steen, not Joe, not Punk.
rocklandsally
Full Fledged Mark

Post by rocklandsally »

this storyline has been more then 1 year sloowwww burn...and has been great...

from the youtube videos and outside event rants from Steen during his 'firing'.... to Cornette and Stacey Twitter rants !!!

They have worked this sooo well !!!

Steen as mega heel anti ROH establishment works soooo well ! Sets up great with Steen - Corino - Jacobs ANTI ROH camp vs a pro ROH camp in the future...

LOVE IT
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

Sig wrote:I'm curious if those who are shitting on this have actually followed the Steen storyline for any length of time... or at all.

Davey can turn heel now out of frustration, since he's a better heel anyways, and Steen, Jimmy and Corino can go on torturing Cornette, and holding the company hostage.

To the poster who agreed with Austin Aries' comments, you all realize Aries said that stuff because he's bitter they were done using him, right? Sure there's no Joe or Punk, but ROH has never needed "names" to be efficient. "ROH" the brand is the draw, not Davey, not Steen, not Joe, not Punk.
You have got to be kidding me. The "brand draws fans" argument may be very, very valid with WWE in many cases and even somewhat with TNA, but Ring of Honor?

Most casual wrestling fans hardly know the company exists and we're 10 years in. When one mentions ROH in front of a group of TNA fans, maybe half of them will know what is being talked about.

But let's say that's true and the "ROH brand" draws. The "ROH brand" minus Punk, Danielson, Aries, Joe, Nigel, etc... has seen a drastic drop in DVD sales, which used to be its bread-and-butter among tape collectors that enjoy pure wrestling matches.

How can that not be a reflection on the talent that is being utilized? For that matter, rumors were swirling that the company was near going belly-up prior to the Sinclair purchase and Aries was let go as a cost-cutting measure, according to the inside information I read.

He sure does look like a "used up" talent since he's gotten himself over in a way that no indy star has in TNA since Joe debuted years ago.

Aries isn't bitter. He's just truthful about a company that he was one of the faces of for some time.

Davey Richards as a heel is the same thing he is as a face.. A great wrestler, but nothing that's bankable for a company with national aspirations. He's this generation's Dean Malenko in terms of being a solid worker with very little personality.

As for the current storyline, though I enjoy seeing Jim Cornette sparring with Kevin Steen, Corny should not be the focal point of the top angle in any promotion in 2012.

Yes, he's great on the mic, but the real reason I see him carrying the ROH banner in this feud is because no one else that Steen has faced has the vocal chops to do so.

And Steve Corino being added in? What is this 1999?

Jimmy Jacobs? Is this 2002 when he had indy wrestling stock?

ROH, she ain't what she used to be.....
Joeystylesfan
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Joeystylesfan »

rocklandsally wrote:this storyline has been more then 1 year sloowwww burn...and has been great...

from the youtube videos and outside event rants from Steen during his 'firing'.... to Cornette and Stacey Twitter rants !!!

They have worked this sooo well !!!

Steen as mega heel anti ROH establishment works soooo well ! Sets up great with Steen - Corino - Jacobs ANTI ROH camp vs a pro ROH camp in the future...

LOVE IT
You think the last time Jacobs was good was 2002? Do you even follow Indy wrestling?
rocklandsally
Full Fledged Mark

Post by rocklandsally »

joeystylesfan wrote:You think the last time Jacobs was good was 2002? Do you even follow Indy wrestling?
Age of the Fall was greaat stable !!!

Though I do also like all incarnations of the Embassy !!!
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

joeystylesfan wrote:You think the last time Jacobs was good was 2002? Do you even follow Indy wrestling?
I didn't say the last time he was good was 2002. I said the last time he had stock in wrestling towards being a national prescense was around that time.
ivpvideos
IVP Videos

Post by ivpvideos »

CubsFanKEC1982 wrote:
I didn't say the last time he was good was 2002. I said the last time he had stock in wrestling towards being a national prescense was around that time.
So you think the last time Jimmy Jacobs mattered was when he was doing a mini bruiser brody knockoff gimmick? That is just crazy talk and that gimmick just screamed indy wrestler.
Go to http://www.ivpvideos.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/IVPvideos
Follow us on Twitter @IVPvideos
Shop on Amazon by going to www.amazonIvp.com so I can make some sweet cash.
californiachris
Full Fledged Mark

Post by californiachris »

ivpvideos wrote:
CubsFanKEC1982 wrote:
So you think the last time Jimmy Jacobs mattered was when he was doing a mini bruiser brody knockoff gimmick? That is just crazy talk and that gimmick just screamed indy wrestler.
Exactly. 2002? This guy has ZERO logic in his posts. :facepalm:
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

ivpvideos wrote:
CubsFanKEC1982 wrote:
Jimmy Jacobs just screams "indy wrestler."

Other than when he was getting rave reviews when he first burst on the scene, I've never seen his potential reached.

To me, he's just a guy that has mediocre name value even in ROH at this point.
jackie treehorn
Learning To Mark Out

Post by jackie treehorn »

I thought the Steen vs Richards main event was SO-SO.. . AS for The Briscoe- WGTT finish :cop: ..
jackie treehorn
Learning To Mark Out

Post by jackie treehorn »

I hear you......The ether rag to the puss makes me fee like im watching a fake wrestling show...Thats my gripe.