Site Admin

Kevin Steen captured the Ring of Honor World Championship

Post by lanza218 »

thoughts?
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Re: Kevin Steen captured the Ring of Honor World Championshi

Post by cmshowstopper »

Surprised. No shocked. But surprised. Not a Steen fan. Guy has great talent, but dont see him as THE guy, much less the guy in ROH.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I am annoyed I don't have him. Not sure if WWE would ever sign him, but seeing a new top dog in ROH makes me tempted to hit them up eventually and get him. :sigh:
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

In my opinion, it just continues to show how spot on Aries' comments on how much Ring of Honor has changed (for the worse) are...

I think the blow that hurt them most was not the loss of Punk, Danielson, Aries, or Joe...

The fact that Tyler Black, Claudio Castagnoli, and Chris Hero all bolted to WWE depleted what I saw as their next crop of top stars.

Suddenly, the company is relying on Roderick Strong, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Steen, etc., to carry the belt. All good workers and great complimentary pieces to the top tier talent.

I will say that at least Steen has good mic skills. I don't see him as a World Champion of anything. Good heel worker, but not a top guy in a promotion that has national aspirations in my opinion.

If I were ROH, I would've pitched Jay Lethal into the title mix a long time ago. I see him as the only face in the company with the vocal chops and in-ring ability to carry the strap.
ivpvideos
IVP Videos

Post by ivpvideos »

Steen is awesome and I am not just saying that because he follows me on twitter. Wrestling is about the characters and I am so glad he is holding the strap instead of Mr. Personality Davey Richards. I am very happy for the dude and might actually check in on ROH and see what happens next.
Go to http://www.ivpvideos.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/IVPvideos
Follow us on Twitter @IVPvideos
Shop on Amazon by going to www.amazonIvp.com so I can make some sweet cash.
wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair »

Steen is awesome and about 8 billion times better than Richards.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

CubsFanKEC1982 wrote:In my opinion, it just continues to show how spot on Aries' comments on how much Ring of Honor has changed (for the worse) are...

I think the blow that hurt them most was not the loss of Punk, Danielson, Aries, or Joe...

The fact that Tyler Black, Claudio Castagnoli, and Chris Hero all bolted to WWE depleted what I saw as their next crop of top stars.

Suddenly, the company is relying on Roderick Strong, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Steen, etc., to carry the belt. All good workers and great complimentary pieces to the top tier talent.

I will say that at least Steen has good mic skills. I don't see him as a World Champion of anything. Good heel worker, but not a top guy in a promotion that has national aspirations in my opinion.

If I were ROH, I would've pitched Jay Lethal into the title mix a long time ago. I see him as the only face in the company with the vocal chops and in-ring ability to carry the strap.
Absolutely agree. Though I dont know about the whole Hero rising to the top of ROH. ROH never seemed to 100% buy into him.
wewantflair wrote:Steen is awesome and about 8 billion times better than Richards.
:skipWHAT:
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Steen is a good talker. Doesn't have the build/pretty boy look Richards has, which has to hurt his longterm major company future, but Steen was always good on the stick.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

WOODMO wrote:Steen is a good talker. Doesn't have the build/pretty boy look Richards has, which has to hurt his longterm major company future, but Steen was always good on the stick.
He's a great talker and yeah his look absolutely doesnt help with landing with a major company. In fact, he looks more out of shape now than ever. My issue with Steen is his character isnt strong enough to carry a company like ROH as its champion. ROH doesnt play hot potato with their World Title. When ROH puts the belt on someone...its b/c they believe that is the person and the best wrestler the company has, that will lead this company to the future. When I look at all the World Champions ROH has had....Steen is by far the WORSE.
ivpvideos
IVP Videos

Post by ivpvideos »

I know Steen isn't your type CM but he definitely brings a certain level of unpredictability to the table.
Go to http://www.ivpvideos.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/IVPvideos
Follow us on Twitter @IVPvideos
Shop on Amazon by going to www.amazonIvp.com so I can make some sweet cash.
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

ivpvideos wrote:I know Steen isn't your type CM but he definitely brings a certain level of unpredictability to the table.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I like Steen. His promos are very good. I stop the DVR to watch him and hear him and Jim Cornette verbally joust like two heavyweights. I just don't believe he's the right guy to carry the World title fora company that is looking for a national audience as ROH is since Sinclair bought the company.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

ivpvideos wrote:I know Steen isn't your type CM but he definitely brings a certain level of unpredictability to the table.
Being my type doesnt make me think the guy isnt top dog material. Having a good, but not great character does. At the same token, if you asked me who I would have beat Davey....not sure I can pick a better guy. Like Aries said....ROH is lacking on strong talent. Davey is a fantastic worker, but has the charisma of a doorknob. Eddie Edwards is ok at both in ring and character, but nothing strikes star in him for me. I dont buy Lethal as a main guy. There just aint really anyone else currently on the roster to goto.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

How about Mike Bennett? In what I've seen, which is admittedly just a few YouTube vignettes, he seems to have "it", or at least the chance to turn it into "it".

Is he too green/new to the ROH scene for a title run?
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I'll put him behind Black, I always thought he had a big league look (as WWE agreed) and wasn't horrendous when I saw him cut a promo.
jackie treehorn
Learning To Mark Out

Post by jackie treehorn »

I enjoy ROH and wanted to see Richards hold the strap for a long time..I like to dislike Steen...... Steen as champ is not my cup of tea............................If you pick up there ippv can you watch it for 24hrs or is it a 1 shot view or..?