RF upset at ROH revisionism in SI magazine

Ring of Honor
class316
Marked Out God

RF upset at ROH revisionism in SI magazine

Post by class316 »

From his FB, and I quote
So I debated all day about even selling for this or making any comments because I put all of this behind me many, many years ago but it was brought to my attention today by at least a dozen of you that Joe Koff from ROH did a interview in Sports Illustrated and never acknowledged Doug Gentry, Gabriel Sapolsky or myself. In fact the article said ROH was created in 2004 and co-founded by Cary Silken. The true wrestling fans know the truth and there is NO HONOR in lying to the wrestling fans or insulting their intelligence. The TRUTH is ROH was founded by myself in 2002. Doug Gentry ,Gabriel Sapolsky, and myself as a group created all the magic for the first two years. Cary Silken was NEVER a co-founder because he was not even brought into my company until a year after it started when I needed more funding. Cary actually attended early ROH shows as a fan. Cary Silken had ZERO input in anything to do with the creative process during his time in ROH when he was my financial backer period and his ideas at the time had nothing to do with our product. They were so off base and he was just a wrestling fan that grew up in the 70's and his ideas NEVER fit our product and that is not knocking him just telling you the facts. The most creative thing he did was sign his name on the checks and deposit large sums of money into my bank account when he became my partner and a minority share holder. When myself and Doug exited from the company Gabe remained the creative force behind the company until his exit. The definition of a co-founder is someone who was there from day one and Cary was not involved as a backer until a year after the company was running shows. So in the future you should say he was the companies financial backer who started in 2003. I am happy he is still there as the good will ambassador because he deserves it. As Will Smith in Concussion says, "Tell the Truth, Tell the Truth"

For a business guy Joe Koff isn't very good at math. They just celebrated their 14th anniversary, yet started in 2004?
This is the interview he is referring to: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03 ... -interview

From SI, and I quote
Koff also serves as the vice president of training and development with the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which is Ring of Honor’s parent company. He has run Ring of Honor as the COO since 2011, replacing Cary Silkin–who was a co-founder and creator of the company in 2004.

​“Cary Silkin is the reason why Ring of Honor is successful from a foundational standpoint,” explained Koff. “Nothing has really changed other than the business support from when Cary supported and ran this company. The talent is the same, the spirit is the same, the authenticity is the same, but we have a more stable platform. I’m not part of the story line, and I’ll never become part of the story. It’s Cary’s story, and he is our ambassador now. He is synonymous with Ring of Honor the product, and I never want to lose that.”
On this matter, I have to side with :rf: because no matter what your opinion on him the fact that they (ROH/SI) are falsifying history is nothing short of shame and outrage. It is just like WWE listing the Royal Rumble winners and not including Chris Benoit on that list :smh:
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: RF upset at ROH revisionism in SI magazine

Post by AJLe »

So you mean they didn't want to mention "One of the guys who really founded the company left when video of him trying to pick up a 14 year old aired on local TV..." in a publicity article?

Shocking.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I mean, I get both points. RF has a point and I get why it may be upsetting, but that's the cost of that kind of controversy, regardless of guilt. A company won't willingly show that dirt on their hands. Most history is revisionist to suit needs, why should this, an article about pro wrestling, be any different realistically?
lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 »

Look how much Vince rewrites history.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

:sleeping:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

AJLe wrote:So you mean they didn't want to mention "One of the guys who really founded the company left when video of him trying to pick up a 14 year old aired on local TV..." in a publicity article?

Shocking.
It's one thing if they didn't want to outright say the truth, but they outright lied.

They could have said "ROH was founded in 2002" and not gone further than that. Truthful yet not spelling out everything. This would at least have been more dignifying than outright falsifying history.

Honestly if they don't want to accept all parts of their history they should close down ROH and open another company.
lanza218 wrote:Look how much Vince rewrites history.
That's why I haven't supported WWE like I used to since Chris Benoit's death. Since then I've bought blu rays of WM but that's about it. I don't buy any merch, I don't go to their events, I don't have the network, nothing! I torrent Smackdown and I the PPVs I do watch I watch via "alternate" streams.

I did attend one Axxess event when WM came to NJ but even then I bought it via third party. So I didn't buy it from WWE directly. And I have bought figures but even then it's more supporting the toy company than WWE.

I do watch RAW live every monday night but that's because if I wait even one day I will run into spoilers. If not for that I'd torrent RAW.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Here are some comments people made on RF's FB
Damn right you started it
John Pozarowski This is why Sports Illustrated and places like Forbes need to stop covering the wrestling business. What a joke.
Michael Haggerston Why is it when any main stream news team cover wrestling they manage to get basic facts wrong! It boils my piss. Do your home work you hacks!!
Jan Murphy Fact is, any reporter with a half a brain would actually take the time to research the subject they're writing about and not just print whatever they're told as fact. Joke.
Wow wow I can't believe sports illustrated don't even bother to check their story out
Rob I was laughing when I read that today we all know how ROH started You Doug and Gabe when we did the joint show in Woodbridge and I was talking to Cary that night he had no clue about the wrestling Business
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

class316 wrote:
That's why I haven't supported WWE like I used to since Chris Benoit's death. Since then I've bought blu rays of WM but that's about it. I don't buy any merch, I don't go to their events, I don't have the network, nothing! I torrent Smackdown and I the PPVs I do watch I watch via "alternate" streams.

I did attend one Axxess event when WM came to NJ but even then I bought it via third party. So I didn't buy it from WWE directly. And I have bought figures but even then it's more supporting the toy company than WWE.

I do watch RAW live every monday night but that's because if I wait even one day I will run into spoilers. If not for that I'd torrent RAW.
First of all, judging by the fact that you regularly sleep in your car to avoid paying for a hotel, I'm guessing that if Chris Benoit was still alive, you still wouldn't be going to house shows, paying for the Network, buying t-shirts, etc., since you ALWAYS choose "alternate" methods when available over actually paying for things.

But to sum up: You appear to be more offended at SI getting their facts wrong about who really founded an indy pro wrestling company, than you are about Feinstein showing up at a Perverted Justice house to see a 14 year old?

:WHAT22:
:shockawe:
:jagwtfb:

Between the crazy Benoit obsession, and your weird defenses of Feinstein, Jared from Subway, and that Josh dude, not to mention the whole love of Hitler thing, you have the most bizarre reasons to be offended out of just about anybody in the history of the internet.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

AJLe wrote: First of all, judging by the fact that you regularly sleep in your car to avoid paying for a hotel, I'm guessing that if Chris Benoit was still alive, you still wouldn't be going to house shows, paying for the Network, buying t-shirts, etc., since you ALWAYS choose "alternate" methods when available over actually paying for things.
I used to before Benoit's death. I attended shows (have ticket stubs to prove it) and I used to buy DVDs (still have most of them).
But to sum up: You appear to be more offended at SI getting their facts wrong about who really founded an indy pro wrestling company, than you are about Feinstein showing up at a Perverted Justice house to see a 14 year old?

:WHAT22:
:shockawe:
:jagwtfb:

Between the crazy Benoit obsession, and your weird defenses of Feinstein, Jared from Subway, and that Josh dude, not to mention the whole love of Hitler thing, you have the most bizarre reasons to be offended out of just about anybody in the history of the internet.
Please show me where I defended RF, Jared, or Josh :shrug:

Anything I ever said about them involved facts vs lies. For instance Jared never had sex with children, fact. He had sex with upper teenage prostitute that accepted his money (some were even of legal age in the state he had sex with them). Big difference. I don't call that a defense. I'm not defending anything RF did in the present or the past. I'm simply condemning a mainstream article for posting lies. What happened to him in 2004 is of no relevance to my point. I never defended Josh in fact I posted LOTS of unflattering truths about him (in fact the only thing I didn't post were things he told me in private and were not made public). And so on and so forth.
lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 »

Its not about defending Benoit its about wwes editing it down. No commentary spoken to him and matches cut from dvd
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

lanza218 wrote:Its not about defending Benoit its about wwes editing it down. No commentary spoken to him and matches cut from dvd
Exactly. And more recently Hulk Hogan and Jimmy Snuka.

This topic is not a defense of anyone nor does any incident in 2004 (or even his feud with Ott) have any relevance to the point at hand.
Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby »

Does anyone read his posts? People in the actual wrestling industry don't use the lingo even half as much as :rf: does. Honest to God.
Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke »

Feinstein is one of those guys who has somehow got into the wrestling industry but is on the lower end but talks like he's a big star and uses all the lingo.

Feinstein, you didn't work the territory system in 1983 you don't need to speak carny. We get it, you're in "the biz"
Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby »

Anyone who sets up and hocks stuff at a strip mall is not "in the industry".

Of course, I make Virgil the exception.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

History is written by the winners. Simple.