ROH to run MSG next year

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: ROH to run MSG next year

Post by lanza218 » June 19th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Dunzo

Ring Of Honor has lost their date for Madison Square Garden. Last week, Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that WWE was doing everything to block ROH from running there. The belief was that ROH would have run on the night before WrestleMania in New York City.

ROH COO Joe Koff confirmed today to PWInsider that there was a deal with Madison Square Garden but the venue said that they were backing out after communications with WWE. Koff noted that lawyers would be getting involved and hopefully, a resolution could be reached “so we can bring the kind of energy and excitement that ROH and our partner New Japan to a bigger audience and to bigger arenas and to the fans of New York City.”

WATCH: Latest episode of 'Being The Elite' features The New Day
As previously noted here, MSG has been more open to allowing more wrestling promotions to run in their venue because WWE does not run there as much as they used to. WCW tried to run there in the 90’s but were shut out because WWE had a lock on the venue.

At this point, there’s no word on what MSG is getting in return from WWE in exchange for canceling ROH’s date. All of the ancillary WrestleMania weekend events next year will be taking place at the Barclays Center.

AAA has a date tentatively booked for September but my guess is that the show will not take place there.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 19th, 2018, 12:40 pm

They never intended to actually run. They knew WWE would do this, and thus granting them exposure and more legitimacy in fans minds if they "were going to run the Garden!"

If WWE would have called their bluff and done nothing, this would never happen anyway.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » June 19th, 2018, 1:00 pm

WOODMO wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 12:40 pm
They never intended to actually run. They knew WWE would do this, and thus granting them exposure and more legitimacy in fans minds if they "were going to run the Garden!"

If WWE would have called their bluff and done nothing, this would never happen anyway.
This - times a million.

If they had a legitimate date secured that they actually planned on running, they would have announced the actual date with a ticket onsale, and all of the other specific info. Instead, they have a super-vague announcement with zero specifics, then claim it was blocked a week later.

This was nothing more than a publicity thing, to pander to the anti-WWE smarks, and to paint a narrative putting themselves as the underdogs against the big, bad WWE evil empire.

Very carny.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 19th, 2018, 1:15 pm

And why I never gave a toot about this!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » June 20th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Garden is more then likely out of reach to any wrestling promotor not named McMahon or Levesque. I could see ROH running Nassau Coliseum, they could certainly sell it out with a strong NJPW presence.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » June 20th, 2018, 9:20 pm

False. Hence why All In is such a big deal

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm

ROH wouldn't run Nassau. They do well with the NYC hub, Long Island would scare a decent amount of people off.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » June 20th, 2018, 10:47 pm

WOODMO wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm
ROH wouldn't run Nassau. They do well with the NYC hub, Long Island would scare a decent amount of people off.
Very true. I'm a wrestling fan who's attended a gazillion shows in the NY/NJ area. I've been to COUNTLESS Shows at MSG, the Meadowlands, Hammerstein, the ECW Arena, etc. I've been to the Nassau Coliseum...twice.

If you don't live on LI, it's a total pain in the ass traffic-wise to get to the Coliseum. Unless they got just a ridiculously cheap sweetheart deal to run there, it would be be stupid for any indy group to run Nassau. Too many better and more convenient options elsewhere in the area.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 29th, 2018, 2:54 pm

I'm still confused how WWE has any clout for MSG considering they didn't run in MSG in how long?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 29th, 2018, 4:43 pm

class316 wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 2:54 pm
I'm still confused how WWE has any clout for MSG considering they didn't run in MSG in how long?
They run a house show yearly.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm

WOODMO wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 4:43 pm

So one house show a year gives them this power?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 29th, 2018, 5:51 pm

class316 wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm
WOODMO wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 4:43 pm

So one house show a year gives them this power?
What power? To pick them over someone who would run there once, fail miserably and never come back? Yeah

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » June 29th, 2018, 11:14 pm

It's in the contract

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » July 12th, 2018, 6:30 pm

They run like 3 a year from MSG; road to Wrestlemania, road to Summerslam & after Christmas. Guess either WWE doesn’t care about keeping MSG exclusively to them or ROH won a suit. Can’t see this card not selling out

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 12th, 2018, 6:45 pm

No way anybody filed and won any lawsuit that quickly - the whole "WWE blocked us" story was likely a bullshit story to play up to the anti-WWE fans. I'm sure that if the show falls through, or has any issues whatsoever, they'll still have "WWE sabotaged us" as a fallback excuse.