Marked Out

Celebrity, Wrestling and Sports Encounter Forum

• Advertisement

Brian McCain signing with the Yanks

Brian McCain signing with the Yanks

Postby lanza218 » November 24th, 2013, 6:46 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... rk-yankees

NEW YORK -- After wooing Brian McCann during a visit to the Bronx this week, the New York Yankees have agreed to a five-year, $85 million contract with the catcher that includes a vesting option for a sixth season that could push the total to $100 million, a source has told ESPNNewYork.com.

The deal will have a full no-trade clause, according to a source.

Besides their own free agent, Robinson Cano, the Yankees made McCann one of their main priorities this winter. The Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox were two of the handful of teams interested in McCann. The Rangers were told earlier Saturday that McCann would not be signing with them, according to ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett.

The deal is pending a physical.

The Yankees were aggressive with McCann as they consider him the first phase in an offseason plan in which they hope to go on a free-agent shopping spree, while also lowering their payroll to less than $189 million. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has made this a goal for the franchise because he wants to take advantage of the luxury tax and revenue sharing savings that ducking under the figure would allow them to do.

Earlier this week, McCann and Abbott visited the Yankees and a source said the Yankees were "aggressively" trying to lock him up.

McCann's agent, B.B. Abbott, told ESPNNewYork.com in the middle of the week that McCann, 29, was willing to do a deal quickly if the right one presented itself.

The Minnesota Twins' Joe Mauer, who is now transitioning to first base, was the highest paid catcher in the game with an eight-year, $184 million deal, while the St. Lous Cardinals Yadier Molina is in the midst of a five-year, $75 million deal. McCann made $12 million.

Last winter, the Yankees declined to sign Russell Martin and instead went with a combination of Chris Stewart, Francisco Cervelli and Austin Romine. They feel McCann's power would play very well with Yankee Stadium's short right-field porch. He can DH and possibly transition to first base at the end of a multiyear contract.

McCann hit .257 with 20 homers and 56 RBIs in 2013.

The Yankees' next top target could be Carlos Beltran, whom they prefer slightly over the other free-agent outfielders because he figures to receive a shorter term contract. They also are interested in outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury.

Love the move, still alot of money to spend as well
lanza218
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: Brian McCain signing with the Yanks

Postby WOODMO » November 24th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Feel he's slightly overpriced, with health issues he's had the past few years, but he's unquestionably one of the best catchers and it potentially fills one of their biggest holes.

Hopefully he stays healthy and plays more than 100 games.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Postby lanza218 » November 25th, 2013, 12:42 am

He actually was predicted to get 18m a year...so he is right around market value. It's just the way baseball is nowadays
lanza218
Site Admin

Postby WOODMO » November 25th, 2013, 8:47 am

Yeah didn't mean the Yankees overpaid and made an insane offer, I just meant it's a position premium. With his numbers, if he was at another position, I don't see him being an 18m estimate. But obviously the position matters, but I don't love hearing them mention him playing 1B or DH in few years, because at that point he's below average at those positions offensively.

Right now though, he's a great catcher. That's all that matters at this point I guess.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Postby oldschoolwwwf » November 25th, 2013, 10:46 am

I'm thrilled to have him as a Yankee fan (at least for the next 2-3 years) but that contract is definitely an overpay...we will be sorry for probably years 3-5 (or 6) on this one...its not the 18 million thats the over pay, its the years on the deal...that said, unfortunately the way baseball is, you have no choice but to overpay these guys if you want them...if the yanks didnt offer the extra years, hed be with texas or boston...

peralta is also an overpay...and so will beltran, etc...any of the free agents, there is such demand and so much extra money that teams have that these guys will all be getting more money and years than they are probably worth

look at cano- he wants 300 million...even if he signed for 250 million, for that money, the yanks could sign mccann, beltran, and a combination of omar infante, choo, garza or jiminez.. ...its crazy...i'd tell robinson thanks but we're going in a different direction..
oldschoolwwwf
Marking Out Icon

Postby oscargamble » November 25th, 2013, 12:00 pm

oldschoolwwwf wrote:..i'd tell robinson thanks but we're going in a different direction..

Amen brutha... I'd offer him 5 yrs at $25mil per. Take it or leave it. And if he leaves, so be it, you don't build a championship team around a secondbaseman. Anything more than a 5-yr deal is financially irresponsible. Like you said, take that money and get 2 or 3 other guys.
oscargamble
Marked Out Pro

Postby WOODMO » November 25th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Yeah those last 3 years of McCann are going to be bad. But the market dictates value and you have to pay the price to fill your gaps, I just don't think Brian McCann as an 85 million dollar player, but I guess he is now.

I expect Cano to get over 200 from the Yankees, but not much more, and I don't expect him to be good for those last 3 years of the contract. It's the nature of the game unfortunately. You don't want to lose a home grown star, but you don't want to pay him on his decline either. My money is on the Yankees overpaying rather than dealing with the backlash of losing him.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Postby lanza218 » November 25th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Cano rejected a 200m offer in spring training. If not exactly 200 it was damn close. The salaries are absurd
lanza218
Site Admin

• Advertisement

Return to MLB