Tom Hanks NYC Book Signing & Seinfeld Cast

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Tom Hanks NYC Book Signing & Seinfeld Cast

Post by WOODMO » October 19th, 2017, 10:40 am

Yesterday was a day I did not feel particularly good about. Tom Hanks was doing a book signing in NYC. Myself and others declared that they would never do posed photos at a Hanks book signing, but in the days leading up to the event they posted that photos at the table would be permitted and that they would be hiring a professional photographer no less!

Well, a pro photographer for a sit-down book signing was rather unprecedented and this location isn't the best for photos in general, so I actually felt even worse after reading this. Why do you ask? I had to try, but still expected a strong chance of failure!!! I did some research and found that other events with posed photos wrote the rules up the very same way, but still, would Hanks actually pose or just tell you to take it while he was signing? :pay2play: as they say

Board member Capman had been heavily involved in our private deliberation about how this event would actually go, and he was all in from the start, so he arrived at 4:15am to get a good spot online and I showed up around 5:30am and joined him. He was 9th online and by the time I arrived it was probably 16 or 17 deep. Lanza showed up a little later, and finally Greg after that. I knew waiting 7 hours and getting nothing would suck, but staying home and seeing Hanks do photos would suck even more so I had no choice.

Luckily, good conversation and trading stories helped make the time move quickly. Before long, we were let in at 9am to buy the books. After that, we lined up outside again and waited for 12:30. At around 12:00pm Tom exited a car and made his way inside. A buffoon from the line lunged towards him, Toy Story DVD in hand and tried for the autograph but he got rejected. I began to get a bit more concerned because the primary color wristbands were over 200 by our count, and that is a lot of people to give combos to, so I really started thinking the odds of him looking up were slim.

A few minutes later they ushered us upstairs into the usual place and the signing started pretty much on time. As the fans began trickling in the :bewitching: was truly upon us. The first few were getting :invalid: shots since the photographer was snapping while they were standing at the table, but nobody asked Tom to look. Finally, he looked up for a kid, and then he fist bumped the next guy who went for a handshake, and the guy asked him for a fist bump photo, which he obliged. I then copied that approach and asked Tom if I could have a fist bump photo and he said "you sure can!" and he looked!!

A Tom Hanks photo for the price of a $21 book was an amazing oppurtunity. I easily would have spent Johnny Depp money on a guaranteed Hanks so this will probably go down as, along with Bruce Springstein, the greatest hobby value I've ever gotten.

After this, I grabbed lunch with :greg: :lanza: at a nearby pub. Later on Lanza and I went to a spot to try for Jason Alexander, George Costanza on Seinfeld, which as anyone that knows me can attest is my favorite sitcom of all time along with Curb Your Enthusiasm. Jason is a weird guy who will be super nice one day and then not want to bother the next. I was 0-2 on him over the years, and since I have 2 decent shots with Jerry Seinfeld and a great one with Larry David, I really wanted to make up for failing on Jason.

Yesterday, Jason was simply great. Taking care of the few graphers and then kindly posing for photos.

At this point I met Greg at his parking garage and we checked out a few spots after he got off work. They were complete busts, but you gotta be in it to win it!!

All in all, getting Hanks and Alexander made my day a big success so I was fine with the failure to cap the night off. I gotta give a huge thanks to Capman for getting the spot on line earlier than the rest of us! It was great hanging out with Cap, Lanza and Greg and they definitely made the experience a lot more fun!

adelta13
Marked Out Pro

Re: Tom Hanks NYC Book Signing & Seinfeld Cast

Post by adelta13 » October 19th, 2017, 10:43 am

My god these Tom Hanks photos are amazing!

Greg2600

Greg2600 Photos

Post by Greg2600 » October 19th, 2017, 10:50 am

No sense doing my own report, since there's little to add content wise to what was written. Obviously thanks to Capman for getting us a line spot!!! I really felt good when the store mentioned a pro photographer would be involved. Sure there are butterflies and such, but as long as you yourself paused for a few seconds, Hanks looked at the camera. Many people were probably too nervous or star struck, and screwed that up. Would be awesome if this was the "wave of the future" with signings. Pro photographer, who was very good IMO, and INSTANT photo uploads. Great hanging with the guys, while running to and from work. Though we got there before "dawn" just about, others arrived nearer to store opening, and seemed to get the primary wristband and thus the signing. Turnout was over 200 at least.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 19th, 2017, 10:54 am

Agreed, the photographer was great, as was the uploading process. Anyone who didn't get valid photos pretty much have themselves to blame. Tom was looking if you gave him time or made some obvious attempt to actually pose for a photo with him.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » October 19th, 2017, 11:14 am

Awesome photo Dana! Congrats!! :clap:

billybatson22
Marking Out Amateur

Post by billybatson22 » October 19th, 2017, 11:27 am

Combo of jealousy and envy

Well fn done guys!

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » October 19th, 2017, 11:37 am

Awesome photo, totally jealous of the Hanks shots.

capman
Marked Out Pro

Post by capman » October 19th, 2017, 11:37 am

Extremely accurate report and although I was truly tired, I had a ball talking shop and personalities with these young men and continued to learn more of the inner workings. IT really was a laugh fest as well with many subjects I cannot print here. I am usually all in if a guarantee , and this was a no brainier. Some other things to add since Woodmo's report was mainly covered here:

- I thank these men immensely for one main reason that I had to painfully learn : DO NOT GO FOR A PEE PEE when you re close to time they "Might" move the line. They brought my books and stuff twice when this happened and I had to rush to find them both times.

- I did not suit up as the conductor because in short, since there was a photo happening, as I told the boys, 1 min before we saw what these foolish fans were not doing, there was NO WAY I was leaving that table without him looking up. The question of should I or shouldn't I have gone suited is up for debate as the website shows he did stand for some near the end, and I could of asked him if suited, but truth is I am happy beyond belief with my photo of him holding my "believe" ticket that I hand out to kids. i will never need to go for him again.

- When he signed my books, the first book had a 20% sticker on it, HE looks at it and said " Oh no no, no 20% off my book, so let's just cross that off here, and make the book $600"..which was classic. He ( or I , not sure) did smudge the $. I may or may not let this go.

Again, Enjoyed making memories and knocking one more must have off my list.

-
Attachments
IMG_3775.jpg
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3768.JPG

Simm
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Simm » October 19th, 2017, 11:39 am

Amazing! Congrats to all of you who got this.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: Greg2600 Photos

Post by class316 » October 19th, 2017, 1:06 pm

WOODMO wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 10:40 am
Well, a pro photographer for a sit-down book signing was rather unprecedented and this location isn't the best for photos in general, so I actually felt even worse after reading this. Why do you ask? I had to try, but still expected a strong chance of failure!!! I did some research and found that other events with posed photos wrote the rules up the very same way, but still, would Hanks actually pose or just tell you to take it while he was signing? :pay2play: as they say
Yep, now you're learning! Only guarantee is if you stay home you'd get nothing.
Greg2600 wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 10:50 am
Would be awesome if this was the "wave of the future" with signings. Pro photographer, who was very good IMO, and INSTANT photo uploads.
I can't believe you of all people would say that. Those shots were low rez, much like the Kevin Hart book events and the Selena Gomez thing. INSTANT comes at a high price.

IMO the Kate Hudson signing at Bookends and Wesley Snipes B&N are most ideal, as you got to use your own camera.

If those pics were high rez I'd have regretted not going as in terms of pose/look I prefer those shots over the shot I have. But since they weren't high rez I prefer my shot.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 19th, 2017, 1:29 pm

They email you high res as I got mine yesterday no problem

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » October 19th, 2017, 1:31 pm

lanza218 wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 1:29 pm
They did? Ok then I should have gone. But after failing to get high rez for both Kevin Hart and Selena Gomez I wasn't encouraged :punches:
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

capman
Marked Out Pro

Post by capman » October 19th, 2017, 1:33 pm

YEp, just got mine about 10 min ago and they sent me both.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Photos AS IS are perfectly fine. Very clear. No flash blow, no blurring, centered, etc. Easily take this over using my own camera.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 19th, 2017, 4:05 pm

:pay2play: :pay2play: :pay2play: :pay2play: :hellyeah: :victory: :victory:
class316 wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 1:31 pm
lanza218 wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 1:29 pm
They did? Ok then I should have gone. But after failing to get high rez for both Kevin Hart and Selena Gomez I wasn't encouraged :punches: