Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Results and Thoughts

lanza218
Site Admin

Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Results and Thoughts

Post by lanza218 » January 8th, 2018, 6:18 pm

1P Masahito Kakihara defeated Bushi, Chase Owens, Cheeseburger, David Finlay, Delirious, El Desperado, Gino Gambino, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jyushin Thunder Liger, Katsuya Kitamura, Leo Tonga, Manabu Nakanishi, Satoshi Kojima, Taka Michinoku, Tiger Mask, Toa Henare, Yoshi-Hashi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Yuji Nagata and Yujiro Takahashi (with Pieter) New Japan Rumble 31:06
2 The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) defeated Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh) (c) (with Rocky Romero) by submission Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 18:49
3 Chaos (Beretta, Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) defeated Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) (c), Michael Elgin and War Machine (Hanson and Raymond Rowe), Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Takashi Iizuka and Zack Sabre Jr.) (with El Desperado, Taka Michinoku and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) and Taguchi Japan (Juice Robinson, Ryusuke Taguchi and Togi Makabe) Gauntlet match for the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship 17:03
4 Kota Ibushi defeated Cody (with Brandi Rhodes) Singles match 15:08
5 Los Ingobernables de Japon (Evil and Sanada) defeated Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Lance Archer) (c) Tag team match for the IWGP Tag Team Championship 14:14
6 Hirooki Goto defeated Minoru Suzuki (c) Hair vs. hair and no seconds deathmatch for the NEVER Openweight Championship 18:04
7 Will Ospreay defeated Marty Scurll (c), Hiromu Takahashi and Kushida Four-way match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship 21:18
8 Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) defeated Jay White Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship 19:56
9 Kenny Omega (c) defeated Chris Jericho No Disqualification match for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship 34:36
10 Kazuchika Okada (c) (with Gedo) defeated Tetsuya Naito

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Results and Thoughts

Post by lanza218 » January 8th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Watched the Bucks, Naito, and Omega match in full and prob last 5 min each of rest. Solid show. Enjoyed Bucks match much more than their ROH work. Okada winning was right call. Think Jericho/omega was very good but omega had a better match last year

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: Wrestle Kingdom 12. Results anf thoughts

Post by ICW » January 8th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Early contender for show of the year. I thought every match was great with the exception of the Six-Man tag gauntlet. I LOVED Suzuki/Goto, Jericho/Omega, Okada/Naito. Tanahashi's match was good but disappointing by WK standards.
Last edited by ICW on January 9th, 2018, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 9th, 2018, 8:20 am

I watched Bucks, Okada, Tanahashi, and of course Jericho/Omega, in full and thought they were all really good. The last two excellent

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 9th, 2018, 8:51 am

Live crowd response was insane. The bar has been raised for WK shows so much in the last few years that I'm sure some people were let down, but it was still an excellent show.
WK1.jpg
WK2.jpg
WK3.jpg
WK4.jpg
WK5.jpg

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 9th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Awesome pics. Cant wait for full report

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 9th, 2018, 3:14 pm

lanza218 wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » January 9th, 2018, 5:24 pm

At the rate NJPW is going they are probably the #2 promotion worldwide. If they can do big business in Australia later this year & can do more US shows outside CA they could be the competition WWE needs.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 9th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Unless they get more of a US foothold aint happening

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » January 9th, 2018, 6:43 pm

lanza218 wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Unless they get more of a US foothold aint happening
Agreed, all they have are (probably) a handful of Cali sellouts. They need a full blown US tour to prove anything.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 10th, 2018, 1:41 am

They’ll never compete because the language barrier will prevent them from reaching the WWE fans that haven’t already given them a shot. They’ll always be a niche in America.

WWE is NBA, NFL, etc in America. You can find other leagues but they’ll always be THE league.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 10th, 2018, 2:07 am

lanza218 wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Well, I'm still over here (Japan) until Friday, so the full report will probably go up over the weekend.
mrira wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 5:24 pm
At the rate NJPW is going they are probably the #2 promotion worldwide. If they can do big business in Australia later this year & can do more US shows outside CA they could be the competition WWE needs.
The problem with "competing" is the same reason WWE doesn't "compete" with NJPW over in Japan - it's one thing to do a big tour a couple of times a year, but to run regularly on the other side of the world would not only be cost prohibitive, but it would cause them to neglect their home market. Why would New Japan fly everybody over here for a long tour to possibly sell out shows in Chicago, NY, Dallas, etc., when they can sell out shows in and around Tokyo without having to buy dozens of expensive plane tickets and hotels?

WWE will occasionally run Japan, and NJPW will occasionally run the US, but it will never be frequent enough for the two companies to "compete" head to head in the same country at the same time.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 2:07 am

The problem with "competing" is the same reason WWE doesn't "compete" with NJPW over in Japan - it's one thing to do a big tour a couple of times a year, but to run regularly on the other side of the world would not only be cost prohibitive, but it would cause them to neglect their home market. Why would New Japan fly everybody over here for a long tour to possibly sell out shows in Chicago, NY, Dallas, etc., when they can sell out shows in and around Tokyo without having to buy dozens of expensive plane tickets and hotels?

WWE will occasionally run Japan, and NJPW will occasionally run the US, but it will never be frequent enough for the two companies to "compete" head to head in the same country at the same time.
So in Japan which is considered bigger? WWE or NJPW?

Also agreed with :pauuuse: that it was always be a niche in the US. Any wrestling outside WWE is a niche and NJPW is further hurdled by the language barrier.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 11th, 2018, 6:33 am

class316 wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm

So in Japan which is considered bigger? WWE or NJPW?
NJPW is bigger in Japan, for the same reason WWE is bigger in the US - they run locally regularly, and the majority of wrestlers speak the native language. Also, NJPW has really grown in recent years - when I first came in 2008 for WK2, they co-promoted the Tokyo Dome with TNA and used other federation talent on the show, along with retired legends doing cameos. And with that, I don't think they even opened up the upper deck of the Dome. This year, they probably had double the crowd they drew in 2008, and other than Jericho, the whole card was NJPW roster regulars. NJPW World probably helps alot in their growth.
class316 wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Also agreed with :pauuuse: that it was always be a niche in the US. Any wrestling outside WWE is a niche and NJPW is further hurdled by the language barrier.
I don't think it'll ever grow to WWE levels in the US for that reason, but I think between the easy availability to content with NJPW World, along with providing English commentary for big shows , raises it slightly above "niche" level, to "distant #2 promotion" level, kinda like what TNA has been at it's highest levels over the years.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 11th, 2018, 1:07 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 6:33 am

I don't think it'll ever grow to WWE levels in the US for that reason, but I think between the easy availability to content with NJPW World, along with providing English commentary for big shows , raises it slightly above "niche" level, to "distant #2 promotion" level, kinda like what TNA has been at it's highest levels over the years.
It might be TNA level but personally I don't think TNA ever reached the distant #2 level. ECW back in the day was more popular than TNA ever was. Shocking in this Internet age.