Monstermania new authentication service and mail ins

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
class316
Marked Out God

Monstermania new authentication service and mail ins

Post by class316 »

And I quote
ANNOUNCING MONSTER-MANIA CON AUTHENTICS

We are VERY excited to announce the launching of MONSTER-MANIA CON AUTHENTICS which will be both an on-site authentication service and also the Official Mail-In service for all future MONSTER-MANIA CON shows!

Here is what we will be offering:

ON-SITE AUTHENTICATION:
We will have a table in each of our autograph rooms where you will be able to get your just signed autograph authenticated. For a $10 fee you will receive a MONSTER-MANIA Dual Hologram featuring our Official logo. One of the holograms will go on your signed item in whatever location you choose. The matching hologram will be placed on an Official MONSTER-MANIA CON hand signed certificate of authenticity. Both holograms will have the same unique serial number and will be entered into our official registry. The certification will apply only to the guests that are signing in each specific room and our table will have a hand signed reference sheet for each star in the room that we will match the signature on your item with for added verification. Each of our tables will only certify the stars in that autograph room to ensure integrity. You must get your item certified before you leave the room, again to ensure integrity.
We realize not every fan will want or need their item certified but we are offering this service for those that do. This will also help validate that the item has a genuine signature if anyone tries to sell autographs in the future that they claim they received at MONSTER-MANIA.

MAIL-IN SERVICE
We constantly received requests for items to be mailed in to have signed by the stars at our shows. After seeing autograph lines get clogged up by people getting a high amount of multiple items signed because they are either re-selling them or offering their own mail in services we have decided to offer our Official Mail-In service to anyone unable to attend the show.
We will have all of the items that are sent in to us signed by the stars during their NON-AUTOGRAPH times. This will help speed up the autograph lines during the show. We will also be limiting the number of items being signed for each person to also help speed up slow moving lines for the major stars attending our shows.
ALL items sent in to our Mail-In Service will automatically receive the MONSTER-MANIA CERTIFICATION hologram and signed COA. This will also ensure that all items mailed in are genuinely signed by the stars.

We will have the ON-SITE verification in place for MONSTER-MANIA CON 41 in Hunt Valley, MD and we are hoping to have the MAIL-IN SERVICE available for that show as well. We will have more updates about that in the vey near upcoming future.

We want to help ensure that items signed by stars at our shows going forward are properly authenticated for anyone who wishes to have that By offering these services we hope to help to provide a safe and trusted environment for collectors.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: Monstermania new authentication service and mail ins

Post by Greg2600 »

The COA is just plain comical. Has Dave ever been to a small sports show where PSA/JSA/Beckett are present? The lines take forever, and are simply a menace. Unfortunately yes, stupid people will do this, and that line will be a hassle for everyone else.

The mail-in is I guess good for some people, but if I'm MM, why would you bother with this? They have no clue what they are getting into, as this is just a mountain of headaches waiting for them.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

We will also be limiting the number of items being signed for each person to also help speed up slow moving lines for the major stars attending our shows.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I get not wanting a dealer to roll up to a headliner with a shopping cart full of 40 items to get signed. But for the most part, if a fan is paying a guest's asking price, they should be able to get whatever they want signed.

And if a dealer thinks there's money to be made getting 40 graphs done, and the limit is, say 4, he's just going to bring his wife, his kids, his cousin, his brother in law, or some buddy/lackey with him to get it done. So at the end of the day, you're not deterring dealers, and you're probably not drastically shortening the line, you're probably just inconveniencing normal fans who may have multiple items.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

How many people actually roll up with more than a few items? I mean, Henry Thomas on Friday had one crew with like 18 pieces, though they let me ahead of them. It's very rare.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

I wonder how they can enforce the "cannot leave the room" policy. Easy with someone like Englund who has his own room but for most any other guest how will they really know. They can't.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

Greg2600 wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 9:19 pm How many people actually roll up with more than a few items? I mean, Henry Thomas on Friday had one crew with like 18 pieces, though they let me ahead of them. It's very rare.
It could possible be an issue with guests who are in multiple franchise movies, like Englund, or fresh/rare names who are coming around for the first time and can complete projects. I've even seen common guests like Adrienne King have guys roll up with a cart full of items occasionally. Like I said though, if the dealer thinks there's money to be made, he's going to bring enough cronies with him to get the items done regardless of the limits. So if this effects anybody, it'll be the normal fans/collectors who are meeting somebody like Englund for the first time, and want to get him on stuff from all of his NOES films.

And that's another problem - this whole limit policy is supposedly to speed up the lines for popular guests, but with this in-room authentication process, they're actually adding a whole other line into the headliner's room. So not only would somebody like Englund's room get it's normal line/congestion, but now everybody isn't even leaving right after they meet Robert, so the room's going to be even MORE congested.

And with the mail-in service, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is going to be a one-and-done attempt for MMania. Dave couldn't even commit to the minimal work required to consistently do a ticketed line-numbering system, and now his staff is going to hold onto send-ins, deal with preferences on graph location/color/quotes/character names/etc.? Not to mention having to deal with the work of shipping stuff back safely and properly? And how is Dave going to keep doing the "We have no idea what people are going to charge before the show, that's set by the guests and their agents" routine if people have to send in (and presumably pay in advance for) their items weeks/months before the show? It'll be a total cluster-F, so even if it works the first time, I can't see Dave and his crew putting the work in to make it a regular service.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

AJLe wrote: August 24th, 2018, 8:53 am
And with the mail-in service, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is going to be a one-and-done attempt for MMania. Dave couldn't even commit to the minimal work required to consistently do a ticketed line-numbering system, and now his staff is going to hold onto send-ins, deal with preferences on graph location/color/quotes/character names/etc.? Not to mention having to deal with the work of shipping stuff back safely and properly? And how is Dave going to keep doing the "We have no idea what people are going to charge before the show, that's set by the guests and their agents" routine if people have to send in (and presumably pay in advance for) their items weeks/months before the show? It'll be a total cluster-F, so even if it works the first time, I can't see Dave and his crew putting the work in to make it a regular service.
True. I have less than zero interest in mail ins but will be interesting to see how this plays out.
paphotoguy
Learning To Mark Out

Post by paphotoguy »

Did anyone at the Hunt Valley MM put this to use? I saw a table where I guess they're were issuing COAs but I didn't see a single person stop there. Seemed like a total waste of time and space, at least on Friday eve.
Author, Photographer, Wandering Spirit
My first book, Travelogue of Horror is for sale worldwide and my second book will be released this fall.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

paphotoguy wrote: September 30th, 2018, 6:51 pm Did anyone at the Hunt Valley MM put this to use? I saw a table where I guess they're were issuing COAs but I didn't see a single person stop there. Seemed like a total waste of time and space, at least on Friday eve.
Never saw it, but honestly, it's impossible to walk around that joint as it is.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

paphotoguy wrote: September 30th, 2018, 6:51 pm Did anyone at the Hunt Valley MM put this to use? I saw a table where I guess they're were issuing COAs but I didn't see a single person stop there. Seemed like a total waste of time and space, at least on Friday eve.
I saw the table. Never saw anyone go up but looked like they had a list with handwritten stuff. So I guess some did get it.