Pre-Social Media Celebrity Hunting Photos

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Re: Pre-Social Media Celebrity Hunting Photos

Post by Jason1980s »

On Sal Corrente's facebook from earlier this month or late November there is an AMAZING photo taken in New York where a fan is standing next to Rocky Johnson, Afa and a 13 year old Dwayne Johnson. The fan is between Rocky and Afa and Rocky to the left of Afa. I don't believe the guy who did the photography, a relative, did not get a photo but he was the one who shared the memory on the facebook page.

Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart
mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira »

Jason1980s wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:32 am On Sal Corrente's facebook from earlier this month or late November there is an AMAZING photo taken in New York where a fan is standing next to Rocky Johnson, Afa and a 13 year old Dwayne Johnson. The fan is between Rocky and Afa and Rocky to the left of Afa. I don't believe the guy who did the photography, a relative, did not get a photo but he was the one who shared the memory on the facebook page.

I can’t believe Rock is 13 in this photo.
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s »

I also can't believe it. The photo background and overall imagery looks like 1980s but I figured it was maybe done in the early 1990s.
PM me!

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Some new stuff I acquired to my personal collection.

First is a postcard WWF sent out to fans who wrote fan mail to Hulk Hogan. This card sells for $60-$100, but as someone who literally scours every corner of the internet to find obscure autographs, I was able to find this along with a signed magazine by the Hulkster from the same guy, and I talked him down to $60 for the lot with local pickup.

Another obscure find is this WWF program with match card, that was signed by Bossman, Hogan and Slaughter. I got a pretty good deal I think on this piece, and the seller even had photos he took of/with the guys signing. A very cool glimpse into old school combo hunting, and my first Bossman auto in my collection.

Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: 80s/90s Sports Hobby Memories

Post by Greg2600 »

Great photos those little whippersnappers got!

BTW I would LOVE to find some old pics of any Hulk Hogan impersonators! My cousin had one at his birthday party 30+ years ago. I lost the "signed postcard" he gave out.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s »

Greg2600 wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:00 pm Great photos those little whippersnappers got!

BTW I would LOVE to find some old pics of any Hulk Hogan impersonators! My cousin had one at his birthday party 30+ years ago. I lost the "signed postcard" he gave out.
Was the impersonator good, was he popular with the kids or did he fall flat like the Ghostbusters 2 party?

Many years ago at a buffet autograph signing for WCW there were two wrestlers scheduled to sign. When my father called the restaurant they said it was "Alex Wright and a Hulk Hogan impersonator." I was pretty disappointed. I liked Alex but didn't like the idea of an impersonator. As a fan of lower card guys, I marked out big when I saw it was actually Dave Sullivan who had been doing the Hulk fan gimmick at the time.
PM me!

Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Jason1980s wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am
Greg2600 wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:00 pm Great photos those little whippersnappers got!

Was the impersonator good, was he popular with the kids or did he fall flat like the Ghostbusters 2 party?
My cousin was younger than me and enjoyed it. I was probably 10 or 11 and figured he was a fake. I recall he held the kids upside down and took a Polaroid and signed that.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Found a couple pics from Pat Morita's lone convention appearance. He appeared at the London Film and Comic Con in March 2004.

https://twitter.com/In2flicks
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s »

My grandfather died two weeks ago and we went to a LOT of autograph shows together but in the early 1990s he was an HR manager for a major company and wound up meeting some local celebrities. Here he is with Baltimore Colts Johnny Unitas and two co workers (he is the one holding the photo with Johnny). He was an amazing man with a large "zest" for life.
Attachments
0c6d306e6463f32be967dd785a4842c2.JPG
PM me!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

Saw this on social media - young fan getting photo op with Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner