This is why I will never really trust autograph I don't get in person

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
zuko3984
Marking Out Amateur

This is why I will never really trust autograph I don't get in person

Post by zuko3984 »

Bob Dylan’s Publisher Admits $600 Books Had Replica Autographs

https://pitchfork.com/news/bob-dylans-p ... utographs/

If a huge publisher like Simon & Schuster can pull something like this how can you really trust anything except if you get it signed in person and see it signed yourself.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: This is why I will never really trust autograph I don't get in person

Post by AJLe »

The fact that they'd go to the trouble of using over a dozen different autopens is ridiculous.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Yea it was exposed as a dozen different autopens for all books. I really hope they pay the price for it.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s »

Sadly this is pretty common with signed books and CD sales. Companies are generally advertising some of the toughest signers or most popular who simply won't or don't want to sign 1000s of items. Dylan himself is probably THE worse celebrity I've seen a book company tout as signing so I was sure in advance the ones coming back would be junk. Bob not signing is not a knew thing with age. He's been bad since his 20s.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Honestly, when this book was announced with a signed version, I had collectors who were gung ho, and I laughed. They were miffed, saying $600 MSRP would be worth thousands, because, well it's Dylan, and he never signs anything. I retorted sarcastically he wouldn't be signing these either! I just had that feeling. There was zero chance this guy was signing 900 books.

I'll go one further, given that several musicians like Chris Frantz of Talking Heads blasted the book. The subject matter is Bob reviewing several hundred songs or some nonsense, I forget, and it wasn't kind to some and way too biased towards others. Bob Dylan would never write this kind of nonsense. Frankly I doubt he had anything to do with the book at all.

That being said, this doesn't detract me from autograph collecting of items not signed in front of me. Again, the process here worked. Collectors shared what they got on other forums and Facebook, and immediately knew something was up. When the dope CEO of the book company denied their claims last week, it made more news and they had no choice but admit to the malfeasance. This isn't the first time either. It's often happened with signed pop star CD's.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
zuko3984
Marking Out Amateur

Post by zuko3984 »

Greg2600 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 7:06 pm That being said, this doesn't detract me from autograph collecting of items not signed in front of me. Again, the process here worked. Collectors shared what they got on other forums and Facebook, and immediately knew something was up. When the dope CEO of the book company denied their claims last week, it made more news and they had no choice but admit to the malfeasance. This isn't the first time either. It's often happened with signed pop star CD's.
To me the only reason they got caught is because they were stupid about how they tried to pull off this scam. They picked a very expensive book with an artist who is known to not sign. Like you said, when it was announced people were already skeptical about it. So peeple were already on the look out for it to be a scam. I really feel like if they did this with a cheaper price point book and a less famous artist they would have probably gotten away with it. Who knows how many times they in fact did get away with it. It's unfortunate but the world is filled with too many scammers and if a big multi million maybe even multi billion dollar company can try to pull a scam like this I'm not sure how I could ever trust any autograph I don't get myself.
I've always been leery of any autograph I don't get signed in person. This just really re-enforces my feelings on this.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Statement from Bob....
To my fans and followers,

I’ve been made aware that there’s some controversy about signatures on some of my recent artwork prints and on a limited-edition of Philosophy Of Modern Song. I’ve hand-signed each and every art print over the years, and there’s never been a problem.

However, in 2019 I had a bad case of vertigo and it continued into the pandemic years. It takes a crew of five working in close quarters with me to help enable these signing sessions, and we could not find a safe and workable way to complete what I needed to do while the virus was raging. So, during the pandemic, it was impossible to sign anything and the vertigo didn’t help. With contractual deadlines looming, the idea of using an auto-pen was suggested to me, along with the assurance that this kind of thing is done ‘all the time’ in the art and literary worlds.

Using a machine was an error in judgment and I want to rectify it immediately. I’m working with Simon & Schuster and my gallery partners to do just that.

With my deepest regrets,
Bob Dylan
I was not aware that vertigo caused memory loss. In what universe has this guy done "signing sessions?"
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Greg2600 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:13 pm Statement from Bob....
To my fans and followers,

I’ve been made aware that there’s some controversy about signatures on some of my recent artwork prints and on a limited-edition of Philosophy Of Modern Song. I’ve hand-signed each and every art print over the years, and there’s never been a problem.

However, in 2019 I had a bad case of vertigo and it continued into the pandemic years. It takes a crew of five working in close quarters with me to help enable these signing sessions, and we could not find a safe and workable way to complete what I needed to do while the virus was raging. So, during the pandemic, it was impossible to sign anything and the vertigo didn’t help. With contractual deadlines looming, the idea of using an auto-pen was suggested to me, along with the assurance that this kind of thing is done ‘all the time’ in the art and literary worlds.

Using a machine was an error in judgment and I want to rectify it immediately. I’m working with Simon & Schuster and my gallery partners to do just that.

With my deepest regrets,
Bob Dylan
I was not aware that vertigo caused memory loss. In what universe has this guy done "signing sessions?"
Those art prints aren't cheap. Like 6K!
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets