JOresky's New Jersey Horror Con November & Williamsburg Nostalgia Fest 2021 Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's New Jersey Horror Con November & Williamsburg Nostalgia Fest 2021 Report

Post by Joresky »

This past weekend I attended two different conventions. On Friday, I went to the Williamsburg Nostalgia Fest in Williamsburg, VA with my good friend Joe. There were some rare and older names in attendance at that con so we felt that made the long drive (over 4 hours) worth it. We left early from my house (around 6 am) to get to the con at a reasonable time (around 10:30 or 11 am). My good friend Troy messaged me and told me that if I bought a show program that all of the celebrities would sign it for free. When I got to the con I saw that they were selling the show program for only $10 so I picked one up where I paid for my admission. Me and Joe made our way to the main room where all the celebrities and vendors were. It seemed like every celebrity was only charging $20 for signed photos, free photo ops and all of them were signing the program for free. The first name we went for was actor Claude Jarman Jr (The Yearling). I got a signed photo and asked him to sign my program and got a photo op with him. He was very friendly. After this we met actor Andrew Prine (Steven in V). I got a photo signed from V and asked him to sign my program and got a photo with him. He seemed to be shaking a lot (maybe a health condition.. also hes 85 years old) but he was very friendly and seemed happy to be there. After this I met actress Beverly Washburn who was in Old Yeller and a classic Star Trek episode. I saw a nice Star Trek photo on her table so I got that one signed and asked her to sign my program and got a photo with her. I then talked about Star Trek with her.. she had fond memories of filming the show and thought it was really cool that William Shatner got to go to space.

Next we met actress Audrey Dalton (Titanic (1953) and she was very friendly... got a free autograph in my program and a free photo with her. After this we met actress Lauri Prange (TVs The Incredible Hulk) and I also got a free autograph in my program and a free photo with her. We took over the table photos with her but she leaned in so the photos actually came out nice and not awkward. After this we met actor James Rosin (Quincy, TJ Hooker) and I got another free photo and free autograph in my program. Next we met actor George Chakiris who I had previously met at Chiller Theatre Con years ago but since it was a free auto in my program and free photo I decided to meet him again. After this I went back to Andrew Prine's table to meet producer Heather Lowe who is Andrew's wife. I got a photo with her and then also got a group op with her, Andrew Prine and Patrick Wayne. I also asked her to sign my program which she did no problem for free. After this I met actor Patrick Wayne again (who I met previously at Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Con back in August) to get my program signed for free and to get an updated photo with. He wanted to charge me $20 to sign the program but I told him I was told it was free of charge to sign the program so he did it begrudgingly (it was actually written into their contracts from what I was told.. this is the last year that will be happening since there will be a change of ownership at the con). After this we met actor/producer Rob Word and got him to sign my program for free and a free photo with him. Lastly we met actor Darby Hinton (Israel Boone in Daniel Boone) who I had met previously at Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Con and got a free photo and autograph in my program from. I saw my friend Troy’s good buddy Herb Boomhower at the con so I also snagged a photo with him since I was told he had small roles in some older films including Speedway and Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. After this we walked around the con for a little bit then left to go back home. Overall I really enjoyed this con and loved how inexpensive and laid back it was.. this is a complete rarity for conventions these days so I really enjoyed it.

The next day me and my friends Steve and Heather went to Atlantic City, NJ to attend the New Jersey Horror Con at the Showboat Hotel. My top reason for attending this con was to meet actor Jon Abrahams from Scary Movie who I had never seen at a con before. Unfortunately some names I needed at this con cancelled.. Bonnie and Gary Morgan and Maximo Sorrentino from Sleepaway Camp. I knew about the Morgans cancelling almost a week before the con because I saw a post on facebook but I didn’t find out about Maximo cancelling until I went to the con and didn’t see him there. I asked the promoter Ryan if he was there and he confirmed that he cancelled unfortunately. The first celebrity I met at the con was Walter Phelan who played Dr Satan in Rob Zombie’s House of 1000 Corpses. I got a combo from for $40. Next I got a combo from actor John Capodice who was in many films including Ace Ventura Pet Detective. He was very nice and said this was only his third convention. After this I met my main want at the show actor Jon Abrahams who played Bobby in Scary Movie. Jon was reasonably priced at $40 for a combo (I heard he added on an extra $20 to sign personal items which is ridiculous) but I just got a photo off his table and a photo with him. I chatted with him for a couple minutes and told him I rewatched Scary Movie the night before and it was still fun. He said a movie like that would never get made these days because of cancel culture.

Next I got wrestler Gorgeous George who was reasonably priced at $20 for a combo. I had a photo with her from years ago at a CD signing with her band Gorgeous Frankenstein (with Doyle from The Misfits) but she was on the end of the group shot so I decided it would be worth getting her again so I could have a photo next to her. After this I talked to actor Mark Holton again who I met previously at PA Horror Con. He remembered me which was awesome and I got an updated photo op from him. He is honestly one of the most fan friendly actors I have ever met at a con and I am such a huge fan of his work. I took a photo of my friends Steve and Heather with Clint Howard and Clint then said why don’t you hop on in for a photo so I got an updated photo from Clint since it was offered to me. I wasn’t originally planning on meeting Clint again since I had him twice but for free I’ll definitely take another photo with him. I told him that I bought his new book that he co-wrote with his brother Ron Howard and he said he is very proud of that book. At this point I met up with Greg and took some photos for him. I decided to meet actress Lisa Jakub again since I’m a huge Mrs Doubtfire and Independence Day fan. I got one of her new books signed (she signed her full name this time instead of just her first name) and an updated photo with her. I asked her about potentially brining a Mrs Doubtfire reunion to 90s Con since Matthew Lawrence is already scheduled to appear there and she said she is trying to make it happen. That would be great for me since I still need Mara Wilson and Matthew Lawrence. I saw a cool blu ray documentary on John Russo’s table (hes the writer of Night of the Living Dead) so I picked it up signed for only $20 and got an updated photo with him. We saw actor Robert Macnaughton who played Michael in E.T. walking around so I got an updated photo with him. He wasn’t scheduled to appear at the con but was just visiting Dee Wallace who was appearing at the con. Lastly I got an updated photo with Scout Taylor Compton for only $10 since I got a friends photo signed for him. Overall I had a great time at the con despite the cancellations. It was fun hanging out and talking with friends and scoring some new and updated photos. I noticed near the pro ops they posted a nice collage and tribute to collector Pasquale Barbato who sadly passed away after being hit by a car after leaving Chiller Friday night a couple weeks prior to this con. I will always remember fallen friends who would have wanted to be at the con and attend them in their memory.

Me and actor Jon Abrahams (Bobby in Scary Movie)

Me and actor Jon Abrahams (Bobby in Scary Movie)

Me and actor John Capodice (Ace Ventura Pet Detective)

Me and actor Walter Phelan (Dr Satan in House of 1000 Corpses)

Me and actor Clint Howard

Me and actress Lisa Jakub

Me and actor Mark Holton

Me and actress Scout Taylor-Compton

Me and writer John Russo

Me and actor Robert Macnaughton

Me and wrestler Gorgeous George

Me and actor Claude Jarman Jr

Me and actor Andrew Prine

Me and actress Beverly Washburn

Me and actress Audrey Dalton

Me and actor Darby Hinton